Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Subaru Tibeca (basic model V-6)
46,000 miles
Oil level is full but just added 2 quarts and went about 4000 miles over recommended oil change.
SYMPTOMS:
(1) Check engine light on (P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
(2) "Ticking" noise on top of engine when accelerator is pressed (only occurs with transmission in drive or reverse. Not in park or neutral) Note: Subaru Dealer susects clogged oil control valves.
(3) At approx 4500 RPM, significant engine hesition (occurs in drive, park, and neutral)
What is the probable cause?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nobody's got an answer for this?
Our '07 B9 is just now showing this at 61k miles. Not happy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had what sounds to be the same thing happen to me.

06 Limited 130,000 miles - all dash lights on and the hesitation around 4500 RPM. The ticking sound that you are referring to, does it sound like it is coming from under the dash? That is where the ticking that we are hearing is coming from and it is at wierd and random times.

The dash light issue has been seen before and it was a loose fuel cap like others on the forum have reported, and went away after a can of Sea Foam and a couple of tanks of gas. Tried that this time and has not changed anything.

I did get a code reading and it reported back a cylinder 3 misfire. I have not tried any further trouble shooting on this yet. Anyone have experience changing the plugs and or coil?

·
Registered
52 Posts
rzp13 said:
Just had what sounds to be the same thing happen to me.

06 Limited 130,000 miles - all dash lights on and the hesitation around 4500 RPM. The ticking sound that you are referring to, does it sound like it is coming from under the dash? That is where the ticking that we are hearing is coming from and it is at wierd and random times.

The dash light issue has been seen before and it was a loose fuel cap like others on the forum have reported, and went away after a can of Sea Foam and a couple of tanks of gas. Tried that this time and has not changed anything.

I did get a code reading and it reported back a cylinder 3 misfire. I have not tried any further trouble shooting on this yet. Anyone have experience changing the plugs and or coil?
When was the last time the plugs were changed? They should be done every 60K. They are a PITA. But, that is a good place to start and especially if it has been a while. You can look at the residue on the plugs and look it up to see what the symptom is. For a misfire I hope you just have dirty plugs or some gunk built up. You need three things for a cylinder to fire properly. Compression, fuel and air mixed properly and a spark. The plugs or coil packs can cause an issue with the spark or ignition. Clogged injectors can cause an issue with not having proper fuel delivery. There are various causes for improper air content. A lack of compression could be due to gunked up valves or a headgasket leak or a piston problem. In order, the suspects are:

1. Dirty spark plug
2. Dirty fuel injector
3. Bad coil pack
4. Dirty valves
5. Other really bad stuff that you should only look into after 1-4 are eliminated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
cam advance codes

this is something we usually see when oil change intervals are stretched you can pull the avcs oil control valves out just one 10mm bolt and it will slide out to make sure it isnt stuck in the open position and can be cleaned with brake parts cleaner the other option is your local subaru dealer sell engine flush that can help with these problems the only downside is that if your engine is sludged up inside it can cause the problem to worsen. your engine also has variable lift on the intake cams which is also oil controlled, and your timing chain tensioners also use engine oil to operate that is why its so dangerous to extend oil changes on the h6 engines

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update to original post;

I changed the plugs and the issue went away for a short time only to return; same cylinder 3 misfire and hesitation at various points. I then pulled and cleaned the avcs oil control valves. Ignition coil was also replaced. Same result each time - runs good for a couple days and then everything returns.have happened internally from the misfire that would cause the plug to not want to turn out
Having tried everything that I could think I dropped off at the dealer to see if there was a code that my reader was not picking up. I just received the call back that they are getting the same misfire code on cylinder 3. They wanted to pull the plug and check it but they cannot get it out. The plug will turn initially and then seizes and will not turn anymore. They do not want to put too much pressure on for fear of breaking.
When i changed the plugs last year i had no issues pulling. I've changed many plugs so I was extremely careful on putting them back in due to the location - hand turn only until the washer sets. I used anti-seize on the threads as always.
Has anyone had any issues with pulling plugs on their Tribeca? Could something have happened internally that would cause the plug to not want to turn out?
I am going to do the PB Blaster soak and see if that helps. I cannot afford the possible engine pull that the dealer is thinking might be the only option to make sure nothing gets broken.
Any suggestions welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.