Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens on the shift to second when the engine is cold. It falls on it's face and takes a bit before it picks up and takes off again. There are no cel's and was wondering if anyone could point me to a likely culprit to check into. Once warned up it drives fine. Just a little aggravating.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sounds like the shifting pressure is messed up.

I would a) change tranmission fluid, using subaru's ATF-HP (what is specified for car) and then do a relearn on the transmission TCU. This can be done with FreeSSM or your dealer can do it for you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a change with a new filter and the relearn has been done. Not since this started mind you as it shifts fine, but then it's like the mixture goes way lean and it doesn't want to go.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Shift to 2nd problems are usually in the transmission. I've had a hard shift when cold on the same transmission in my outback XT.

What is happening with the tach when this happens? Is the engine really stumbling? If so, you will get a check engine light. It really is quite excellent at detecting issues with spark or lean. If you aren't convinced the ECU is logging an problem then you should get RomRaider and a cable and do some logging runs. I would check over at subaruoutback.org for help with interpreting them since it takes some experience.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First appearances are pointing to a dirty maf. Cleaned it today and upon taking the car out it ran much smoother and it didn't fall on it's face when it shifted. I was going down the hill however which normally the problem doesn't manifest itself when I go that way, but the way the car performed afterward overall makes me think I took care of the problem. We will have to see when the car is cold and I go the other way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts