Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any reason the sat ready headunit out of an 07'(or later) wouldn't work in an 06' (assuming both vehicle are same/similar trim levels)?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
Is there any reason the sat ready headunit out of an 07'(or later) wouldn't work in an 06' (assuming both vehicle are same/similar trim levels)?
07 might work, but I think they changed head units in the 08. Still, the pre-wiring won't exist in the 06, so you may have to get creative :)

Bump to others with more knowledge of this???

-Karen-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karen,
Thanks for the input, I guess my thinking on it is it should be like any other vehicle in respect to changing to an aftermarket radio....As long as the unit fits in the space behind the radio/ac controls* I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

I can see where you'd need to add the Sat antenna, but other then that I can't see a reason for it not to work unless I'm missing something obvious
(or not so obvious)..... :lol:

Any one else have any ideas?

*Really the only thing that comes to mind is the space being larger/smaller in the 08'-09's with changes made in the redesign (though the interior was basically unchanged)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
As long as the unit fits in the space behind the radio/ac controls* I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.
No, it won't work. The radio and AC controls are all integrated into the fascia, and are not interchangeable with other units, including Subaru-designed Kenwood units.

Sorry for that bit of bad news. You'll find this same info in numerous other places here and on other forums.

-Karen-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not exactly bad news, just need the fascia with the headunit and the fascia from the 07 shouldn't have a problem fitting in an 06' (again I could see a possible difference in an 08+)

Well all, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and I'll check back for more responses on Mon or Tues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
Not exactly bad news, just need the fascia with the headunit and the fascia from the 07 shouldn't have a problem fitting in an 06' (again I could see a possible difference in an 08+)

Well all, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and I'll check back for more responses on Mon or Tues.
Sorry, I obviously read your original post incorrectly...thought you were talking 08s and 07s. Your idea might just work, but I can't say for positive. Let us know how you fare...

-k-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the case of an 06'

It's not really any more of a hassle then taking the raido out to be able to run an Aux in for an ipod, and to not have to listen to what ammounts to mainly commercials on "free" radio, Yeah Sat is worth it (and while Sat isn't completely commercial free there are Far Less commercials on the stations that do have them)

Now before anyone says it, yes you can use cd's or an mp3 player, but that eliminates sports, news, talk entertianment (and in some locations traffic and weather)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kmartin said:
Sorry, I obviously read your original post incorrectly...thought you were talking 08s and 07s.
-k-
Karen,
You weren't exactly wrong, I was inquiring about both the 07-08+ units, to be used in an 06' model. Like I said, I figure as long as you have the fascia to go with the head-unit it should work as long as the unit fit's in the space.

Anyway, if/when I do try it (have an unforeseen expense that may have come up) I'll be sure and post the results.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
Now before anyone says it, yes you can use cd's or an mp3 player, but that eliminates sports, news, talk entertianment (and in some locations traffic and weather)
iPod loaded with podcasts (sports, news, talk, entertainment are all VERY popular categories) and a traffic-enabled GPS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pod cast's are all well and good, if you don't mind listening to pre-recorded stuff, and not everyone has a traffic enabled gps nor does everyone want more things mounted on their dash. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts