Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Thank you in advance for taking time to read my post. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge or advice you can share with me. I have a 2006 Tribeca. Last week, drove home from work. Stopped at the mailbox. Tried to start her up. Nothing but a half dozen clicks from the starter, I guess. Lights on the dash and the chimes on the interior are all bright and loud. I ended up pushing it a couple hundred yards to home. Cleaned the battery terminals. Still the same thing. Put a battery charger on it. After about 10 minutes, I decided to give it a try. Started right up, like nothing was wrong. Left the charger on it all night long. Drove it up to Napa to get a some battery terminal cleaner. Started up and drove home. Got in it the next morning to run to the store. Started right up. Came out of the store and it wouldn't start. Turned off the air and radio and tried again. Started up. Got home and shut it off. Wouldn't start. Charged it up again. It would start a couple of times, then nothing. At one point I took it to Autozone. They checked the battery and the alternator. I even took the starter out and took it to Autozone. They were able to bench test it. Seemed to work perfectly. Battery was only 6 months old. Charged it up all night. So, I bought and installed the genuine Subaru battery cable harness. I thought I had the problem solved. It started 4 or 5 times. Went in the house returned about a 1/2 hour later, and nothing. So, as a last resort, I just exchanged my battery for a new one. No luck. It just makes the same half dozen clicks every time you turn the key..

Does anybody have any ideas? I just can't think of anything else. Perhaps one or more of you guys have had this issue and know how to solve it.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Rugo

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Very likely the starter. Just replace it and go from there. You have taken care of all the grounding possibilities with the battery cable harness replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you tdelker, for your reply. After reading a few posts that were very similar to the issues that I was having, the starter seemed to be the issue. So, I took your advice and replaced the starter. You were correct. That was my issue as well. After hooking everything back up, my trip odometer turns from the miles to "Err 66". Anybody ever have that issue? After driving a about 12 miles, I let my Tribeca idle in the drive way for a minute. The air conditioner compressor seemed to make the engine rev unusually high. I then got a Check Engine light. A flashing Cruise Control light. Along with a the Traction Control light. I unhooked the battery and reset it. So far just the Err 66 has come back. If anybody has any advice or help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Rugo

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Err 66 of Err SS? Err SS (although often called Err 55) is likely the wheel speed sensor on the wheel bearing. Lots of info on that one. Not familiar with err 66.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again tdelker, for you help and advice. While searching the site for this issue, I found a thread that you posted in. It appears to be "er bb", in place of the odometer miles. Is it possible that it is the vacuum pump? That seems to be the conclusion of most of the posts that I have read, since posting my question. You were right on, when it came to knowing it was the starter that was the issue, in my first post. So, I will certainly take your advice and look into the possibility that it is something the the wheel speed sensor.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

Rugo

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sorry, no advice here other than looking up the error code in the factory service manual (if you don't have it, you can get it from ebay as a download). Something must have gotten dislodged in the work.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Okay, I took a second to look - I agree, something to do with the vacuum pump on the brake.

Look for a loose connector or line.

See this post: Er bb or ER 66

"Probably Er bb, which according to the B9 FSM is "Vacuum pump system malfunction". The only other substantive reference to a "vacuum pump" is in the brake system. See attached. "

"I appreciate your digging. I traced all the vacuum lines starting at the brake diaphragm. Didn't take long to find the 1/4" vacuum line at the junction of the vacuum pump, brake vacuum, and intake manifold was loose on the back end. I must have bumped it off or forgotten to reconnect it. "

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Another good post: er bb On Dash Display Of A 2006 Subaru Tribeca

Same years as yours in case you need a new motor because it isn't a disconnection problem.

You do want to fix this - It's difficult to stop when the engine is cold without that booster! It is terrifying. I had it happen once from water in the line that keep the booster from working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you again for taking time to share your knowledge, tdelker. I ordered and received a brake vacuum pump today. I crawled under my Tribeca. Located the pump. As I lay there, contempating the best way to take it out and replace it, I thought I would figure out where the vacuum line from the pump went to. As I started investigating further, I realized that I had been working around and through a few small vacuum lines, when I was trying to get my starter out and back in. At that point is when I realized that I had in fact pulled a small vacuum line off the metal nipple. It runs vertically. When I quickly checked everything, when I was butting up my starter job, I wasn't looking for a vertical hose. Do to the age of the rubber, it does slide on and off very easily. So, I fastened in on there with a small zip tie. Probably not the very best fix that I could have come up with, but it does seem to be secure now. My hope is that someone else will benefit from my experience. As tdelker stated, "You do want to fix this-It's difficult to stop when the engine in cold without that booster". He is 100% correct. I almost ended up rolling out into a very busy road out of my neighborhood. Please don't ignore an "er bb" code on your trip odometer. It is trying to tell you that your brakes will probably fail you.

Thanks again for all of your time and efforts.

Rugo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts