Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traced back my cylinder 1 & 6 misfires to either bad injectors, or ECU issues. Swapping coil packs continued with misfires in 1 & 6. And two injectors failing at exactly the same time, seems implausible.

I bought another 07 ECU with the "B" moniker at the end of the code. Got it to my friends shop only to have it run even worse, with more reported misfiring cylinders. So I found one more 07 ECU with the final build "C" moniker.

Once he puts it in, am I just going to have more issues? Are these ECU's not swappable like most other cars I've owned? Do I need it reflashed? I'm really trying to avoid spending $800 on a factory fresh one, especially when this B9 is getting way up in age.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi did you resolve your issues? How so? I'm in the middle of this drama right now. Misfire cylinder 1. The ecu isn't send injector signal for cylinder 1. Fun times. I've opened up the ecu, no obvious faults to see.

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi did you resolve your issues? How so? I'm in the middle of this drama right now. Misfire cylinder 1. The ecu isn't send injector signal for cylinder 1. Fun times. I've opened up the ecu, no obvious faults to see.

Cheers
Hey Chris,

I spent forever tracking it and throwing parts with no avail. Went through three used ECU's, injectors, and all manner of parts. I finally found a Subaru guru that knew the issue. There is a guy in Portland Oregon that "Might" be able to flash a used computer with my factory info. He didn't guarantee the work would work.

My other option was to spend over a $1,000 through Subaru to get a brand new computer with my VIN flashed to it. Either option sucked, and I sold it for parts sadly.

Good luck, I loved my B9 so much, and spending three months of no results, along with a stressful move into our new house, it threw me into a depressed place for months. Bite the bullet, and contact Subaru for a programmed ECU if you're looking to save it. I bought a late model SAAB 9-5 Sportcombi, and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man that sounds like a stressful time. Thanks for your reply. I'm down in New Zealand we have even less options available to us down here. I'll try a second hand cheap ecu to start as that's what I'm being told here will work. Fingers crossed. Do you remember what shop your guru was from? Might be worth a phone call too him if he's seen this before.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man that sounds like a stressful time. Thanks for your reply. I'm down in New Zealand we have even less options available to us down here. I'll try a second hand cheap ecu to start as that's what I'm being told here will work. Fingers crossed. Do you remember what shop your guru was from? Might be worth a phone call too him if he's seen this before.

Cheers Chris
Yup. Here is his info. SUBARU ECU VIN PROGRAMING | KARMANAUTO

And good luck. The ECU's are all VIN specific. I tried three of them. Also, pull your ECU and see if you have a B, C, or D. You have to match your letter, or go for a higher one. Of you have a C, you need or C or D. But if you have D, only a D will work. If you order from Subaru, you'll get a D only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers! Mine is. B W and I found a cheap B W which is being sent to me. My auto electrician says he can programme it when it arrives. If not I'll try Subaru dealer to programme it.

I hope this is the B you talk about. I see on the end of the long subaru number my old one ends in B but the new one ends in an A. Fingers crossed this is not the one your speaking about.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers! Mine is. B W and I found a cheap B W which is being sent to me. My auto electrician says he can programme it when it arrives. If not I'll try Subaru dealer to programme it.

I hope this is the B you talk about. I see on the end of the long subaru number my old one ends in B but the new one ends in an A. Fingers crossed this is not the one your speaking about.

Thanks for your advice!
It's the number at the end of the chain. So if your code ends in B, you need a B, C, or D. An A theoretically won't work.

As far as your auto electrician goes, he's going to need to have your old ECU, and clone it to the new-used one you purchased. The way it was described to me was they have to put fresh silicone on the used ECU, and flash your VIN to it. The new-used ECU needs to have the old VIN removed from it, and the new chip needs the old VIN flashed. It will make it so the immobilizer can talk to the key and the ECU.

I actually sent the wrong page to you previous for that guy, you need the ECU clone page, which is here: SUBARU ECU CLONE 2000 to 2018 ( Engine Control Unit ) | KARMANAUTO

I hope I was told wrong about the A,B,C,D thing, but from other pages I searched on, they said it had to match. Your guy might be able to bypass it, or the guy in Oregon might be able to.

Let me know what happens, like I said, I gave up after months of trying to solve this, and when I found the end line, I was over the B9. I bought a nice Saab 9-5 Sportcombi, and have been happy. I do miss that big lug of an SUV though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts