Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the A/C is in auto mode I notice that when I change the temperature on the driver side thermostat control enough to cause the fan speed to increase that the air blows just as hard on the passeneger side vents even though they have not modified their thermostat settings. Is this normal? I thought dual climate meant 2 thermostats and 2 fans. Appears that there's 2 thermostats and only 1 fan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Brien said:
I think it's only dual temperature controls but not the fan.
I concur, it's only one fan in there. kind of cheaped out on this Subaru :( Just like no heat in the back, only AC. Oh well I sit in the front mostly by myself :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wackojacko said:
I concur, it's only one fan in there. kind of cheaped out on this Subaru :( Just like no heat in the back, only AC. Oh well I sit in the front mostly by myself :lol:
no heat, that's lame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sorry if this is a tread jack but it seems as though the original question was answered.

I notice a few months ago when it was cold out, I'll set it to Auto and turn the temp on both sides up to around 74 degrees. At some point I'll look over and the A/C light would be on. When I look at the outside temp it'll be around say 35 degrees. My thinking is if it's 35 out and the temp is set at 74 there no need for air conditioning. Even if the car accidentally got heated past 74, lets say i turned it down from 80, the 35 degree air outside would be more than sufficient to cool the car down to 74. I asked the dealer to look at it and they said it's working fine and "I hate the auto feature". I want to rip them a new one but i figured I'd ask other owners first to make sure this is normal.

BTW - It does get uncomfortable cold in the car. Even now while it's 80 degrees out i usually have the temp set to 71-72 Auto, with the ac on and it get pretty cold in the car. cold is good in the summer but 71 degrees is far from cold.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your car is noticing cold temps outside, and knows there's people exhaling very humid air inside. It's turned on the AC compressor not for air COOLING, but for DEHUMIDIFICATION.

With the AC on, your HVAC system will be producing warm dry air so as to prevent the dreaded "beer glass effect" on the inside of your windshield and windows.

Perfectly normal. Desirable, even ;)

klovell said:
I'm sorry if this is a tread jack but it seems as though the original question was answered.

I notice a few months ago when it was cold out, I'll set it to Auto and turn the temp on both sides up to around 74 degrees. At some point I'll look over and the A/C light would be on. When I look at the outside temp it'll be around say 35 degrees. My thinking is if it's 35 out and the temp is set at 74 there no need for air conditioning. Even if the car accidentally got heated past 74, lets say i turned it down from 80, the 35 degree air outside would be more than sufficient to cool the car down to 74. I asked the dealer to look at it and they said it's working fine and "I hate the auto feature". I want to rip them a new one but i figured I'd ask other owners first to make sure this is normal.

BTW - It does get uncomfortable cold in the car. Even now while it's 80 degrees out i usually have the temp set to 71-72 Auto, with the ac on and it get pretty cold in the car. cold is good in the summer but 71 degrees is far from cold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
jimbo said:
Your car is noticing cold temps outside, and knows there's people exhaling very humid air inside. It's turned on the AC compressor not for air COOLING, but for DEHUMIDIFICATION.

With the AC on, your HVAC system will be producing warm dry air so as to prevent the dreaded "beer glass effect" on the inside of your windshield and windows.

Perfectly normal. Desirable, even ;)
Hmm.. Thanks Jimbo! I didn't think of that, I'm not the most knowledgeable in HVAC. But as long as it's happening to other people i feel more comfortable.

Thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.