Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I live in San Francisco and I'm considering buying a used 06 or 07 Tribeca B9. Considering our uniquely hilly terrain, I'm wondering what other B9 drivers think.

I've read lots of reviews - by journalists and users - and
I'm aware of peoples views about the look of the car (I like it) and it's below average gas mileage. What I'm concerned about is the reputation for poor acceleration and searching for gears. What is the real skinny on this? Most of my driving, 2 - 3 hours per day, is almost exclusively in the city. That's lots of stop/start traffic, lots of twisty streets, and, most of concern, some steep climbs on the city's hilly streets.

So, is the B9 up to the job, or do I have to go look at buying a Pilot or Highlander (fine vehicles, but the Tribeca just looks better to me).

All helpful opinions welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have an '08 Tribeca and have driven in the city before. It drives just like any other car, even with the hills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Brien. I know the power issues associated with the 06/07 Tribeca was addressed for the '08 models forward. But the '08 Tribeca is beyond my budget.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an '07. IIRC, the transmission mapping was massaged a bit for '07, so it hunts less than the '06, then it was revised again for '08.

I have never had an issue with hills, and my '07 has plenty of low-end grunt in the lower gears, so I don't think you'll have an issue at all.

I once raced a Honda Pilot from a stop, and we were dead even up through about 60 mph (before we had to stop for the next light). I was pleasantly surprised, as I believe the Pilot has more power (but then it has more weight too).

The Tribeca is also sportier than most - it handles great.

I don't think you'll have any issues with an '06 or '07.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If anything, you may need to flick it into Sport mode on hills so you get a quicker down shift. Other than that, you should be fine. Don't forget that 06-07 recommends premium fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts