Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every shop I have taken it to says that the left front wheel bearing is bad. I am not sure if they are reading off of what the first shop said since they import data into Carfax.

What symptoms does a wheel bearing give besides a whirring nose when turning? I have never had a vehicle that doesn't whir when the wheel bearing is bad so I am puzzled at these assertions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Shops won't check carfax, at least not in my experience.

Subaru, most likely is noise, as you suggest. But could be play that is causing them to say that.

Tom

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess I will investigate further.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Typically the noise from a bad wheel bearing will get louder when you turn your steering wheel to the left or right while in motion, indicating which wheel bearing is the bad one (if its one of the front ones that is) J

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly my experience. I wonder if the indy shops that I am going to are just pulling carfax records from the first diagnosis. Too many saying the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did the rear wheel bearings on my wife's 2012. It really sounded like bad tires as it was a hum/howl that increased in intensity from 40mph but I knew it to not be tires as they were brand new. A confusing coincidence to say the least as the hum/howl started pretty much precisely when the new tires went on! There was no play with the wheel off the ground but it felt a little rough when turning the wheel. After removing the wheel and brakes, I could feel a little bit of binding as I rotated the hub so I was quite sure I was on the right track so I proceeded. One trick I learned online was to hang onto the spring/strut when turning the wheel as the vibration is somewhat amplified and you can feel/hear it a bit more. Once the bearings were off the car it was very clear that they were pooched and after re-assembly, the car is silent once again! All in all, it was a very easy job with the right tools (rented from AutoZone) and I did both sides in under 3 hours. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
160k miles with lots of towing seemed like more than a fair life span. I didn't mention above, but I ordered the bearings from Amazon from DTA for $120 (for both...OEM is $600 for the pair!), new Axle nuts for $13 plus a 32mm socket from Harbor Freight for $3 and I was in and out for under $150 and 3 hours. Pretty easy DIY and now we don't have to yell at each other to talk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone know a good replacement rear hub and bearing assembly for a 2007 Tribeca? I have the factory wheel sensors for the rear hubs, and am trying to replace them, but having a hard time getting the sensors out. Rust belt! I might have to replace both rear hubs to do it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, if I remove the rear hubs to get the abs sensor out, can I reinstall the hubs with the new sensors without replacing the hubs with new ones?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol, if it were only that easy. I live in the Rust Belt , and they are in there solidly. I ended up drilling out the passenger side one as far as I dare, as I did not want to damage tone ring on the hub. Still could not dig out the remainder. So, I removed the caliper and rotor, and had removed two hub bolts when I noticed the rest of the sensor on the garage floor. Think it finally fell out when I pounded the rotor to loosen it. Cleaned out the hole in knuckle. Should be able to fit new sensor in. Need to get to the connector now to unplug old sensor.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had to do this once on a 1995 Impreza, and it was harder because the sensor housing was metal. Of course, each case is unique.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally finished replacing both rear ABS speed sensors in my 2007. Lubed up the brake calipers and replaced caliper pins while I was at it. All the dash lights are now off, and cruise works! Hallelujah!! Think I might tackle exhaust next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts