Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First forum for me reaching out to a higher power. Have an 06 Tribeca that has a pretty clunky front end just changed the links and sway bar bushings. The mechanic I used told me my mounts and struts and control arms may need some attention because he heard the noises during his test drive. I didn't know in order what I should try first. If I go for the mounts and the struts I know I will be ticked if I still have the clunks and 300 dollars missing in my pocket. Plus a day working on it. Does the creak give me any more indication of something? I have never had to change a control arm so I don't know what to do with that but they don't look inexpensive. Just looking for some direction. Happy wife happy life!:headwall::

·
Registered
703 Posts
After links and sway bushings, the next step would be to replace the LCA bushings (rear). Don't replace the whole LCA unless it's damaged... Buy a new set of bushings, remove the LCA's and take everything to a shop that can press the bushings in for you.

If that doesn't do it, then go after struts and/or mounts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i'd also suggest looking at LCA rear bushings, i'd also recommend getting oem replacements, depending on your skill level if you decide to tackle them yourself make sure to mark how they are oriented, they should be reinstalled the same way.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Front end clunk going slow over speed bumps is almost always the sway bar bushing on our car. Makes me go hmmmm....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for response I will check my lca's rear bushings

I guess I was wondering if I have to take the control arms off to change the bushings if there worn? Never did the job before.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The clunk is generally the sway bar bushings...but when I did the shocks/struts on our 07 I did the sway bar bushings as well, so noise gone. Your 06 is probably way past due for the shocks/struts anyway. You can probably get hardened bushings for the LCA but then more road noise is going to come with them, trade-offs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes. The LCA's need to come off to change the bushings. Be careful with the ball joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts