Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i've finally narrowed down my crossover/station wagon search to the tribeca or audi q5. still not 100% decided, so i'm checking out both cars on various forums, websites, etc. i've already test driven both, and there are pros/cons to each.

any advice or feedback from tribeca owners on here?

i'm looking at a new 2010 or 2011 tribeca touring w/ nav or the 2011 q5 2.0T.

thanks! :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well being one who has owned a few German cars in the past I would take into account the service fees and frequency. I know many times with the German cars they have idiot lights that come on when it's time to service them and only a dealer can reset them. So if you don't mind a blinding red light on until you make it into your dealership then it's an insignificant factor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, brien! my first car was my parent's 1988 Audi 80, so i know what you mean about those red lights! i actually forgot about that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
kind of total opposites LOL . Audi is very nice, going to be a lot more expensive to get all the options in the touring Beca. Also maintenance on German cars is EXPENSIVE!! My Mercedes is always a couple hundred when i just stop at the dealer. My Volvo when it was new was also more expensive than the Subaru but the Volvo is still alive today LOL but I think my Subaru will last longer.. Also for the price, the Subaru is going to last a very long time, the AWD will get you anywhere, its roomy and the options in the touring are very nice. But the Audi will have a better navi system, and some other features but if you get all that, the Q5 will hit $50,000. The Beca will be at most $38,000, maybe less b/c of insensitives. They both do have great AWD systems. But deff check out the Tribeca b/c Subaru is really taking off these days. Also see the Audi and drive both before you buy! Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ended up going to both dealers today. in the end, i couldn't give up the q5. i loved that car from the first test drive, and seeing it again sealed the deal. i actually went to the subaru dealer first to make a deal on a 2010 tribeca, but the dealer wasn't giving us a deep enough discount, so we left. headed over to audi on a whim, and ended up ordering one. the car should arrive next feb. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
gee, thanks! :lol:

i wanted the 2.0T engine with the Premium Plus package (which is the *edit* higher (not middle) tier in the 2.0T). no nav. if i bought the tribeca, i wanted extra goodies like nav. with the audi, i'm willing to go without nav to cut the price. so i'll end up spending about $3k-$4k more (including taxes) for the q5. the rest of the features match up very similarly. i wanted the tribeca touring so i could get body colored panels, HIDs, moonroof, etc and i'll get that in the audi.

i initially started looking at the tribeca, since my sister has an '07 and they love it. plus, my parents just purchased an '11 outback (which they rave about) and another friend just ordered an '11 WRX. i figured i'd check out this subie bandwagon too! :D if i didn't love the drive feel of the q5 so much, i'd have purchased the tribeca. oh well. maybe our next car will be a subie? :)

esther

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I like the Q5 and it may be an option when we go car shopping in 2015. Although the Q5 is smaller then the Beca.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the Q5 is most definitely smaller than the tribeca, but it has enough room for our needs. i was comparing the 2 since they were my personal top 2 choices, although i should have really compared the q7 to the tribeca.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Q7 is madd expensive, and honestly it looks kinda awkward.. like its long but also just weird, i mean its beautiful but its just weird, the Q5 is much sexier.. Oh are you planning on keeping you Q5 for a longtime or lease, i wonder on Audi's turbos longevity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
Q7 is madd expensive, and honestly it looks kinda awkward.. like its long but also just weird, i mean its beautiful but its just weird, the Q5 is much sexier.. Oh are you planning on keeping you Q5 for a longtime or lease, i wonder on Audi's turbos longevity.
i always plan to keep cars for about 7-8 years. my sister had the '99.5 A4 1.8T and kept it for 8 years, over 100k miles. still ran fine. the 2.0T is a tested engine in the audi (used across multiple models over the years), so it should be okay as long as i maintain my car.

yeah, i wasn't a big enough fan of the q7 to pay that premium. it would have cost easily in the mid-upper $50's w/ the premium plus package. i hate how you always have to upgrade to get the darn xenon headlamps! sigh. but that's besides the point. =) it's nice to have the 3rd row option, but it also makes the car a lot longer. when/if we outgrow the q5, we'll have to see what's available on the market.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good luck with the Q5, i also looked at the Q5 and the Avant before deciding on the Beca........have owned German cars for years (my wife has a Mercedes now), but just wanted a Subaru for a change......bought a 2010 Limited and absolutely love it....have no regrets for getting the Beca instead of the Avant.........like you, I keep cars for 8 to 10 years at least and feel confident that this Tribeca will last that long or longer........:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cowboy said:
Good luck with the Q5, i also looked at the Q5 and the Avant before deciding on the Beca........have owned German cars for years (my wife has a Mercedes now), but just wanted a Subaru for a change......bought a 2010 Limited and absolutely love it....have no regrets for getting the Beca instead of the Avant.........like you, I keep cars for 8 to 10 years at least and feel confident that this Tribeca will last that long or longer........:)
congrats on your new Limited!! i love the interior feel and layout of the tribeca.

our family has owned 3 audis in the past (going as far back as the 1987 audi 5000s), and then we all migrated to japanese cars. the q5 will be the first german car in the family since the '99.5 A4 my sister had. let's hope it doesn't disappoint! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
As you know I am sure, don't listen to them about you don't need to change oil but every 10,000 miles........the independent Audi and BMW shops in Atlanta are making a pretty good living off people who listened to the 10,000/15,000 mile oil change people/dealerships......they don't want you to change your oil so that as soon as your warranty is out, you start having to replace turbo's and rebuilding the heads for gunked up engines etc.......none of my business, just my 2 cents worth.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cowboy said:
As you know I am sure, don't listen to them about you don't need to change oil but every 10,000 miles........the independent Audi and BMW shops in Atlanta are making a pretty good living off people who listened to the 10,000/15,000 mile oil change people/dealerships......they don't want you to change your oil so that as soon as your warranty is out, you start having to replace turbo's and rebuilding the heads for gunked up engines etc.......none of my business, just my 2 cents worth.....
thanks for the advice, cowboy! yeah, oil changes are recommended every 10k miles. i think i'll still stick with 5k like we do on all of our cars. the sucky thing is that audicare (pre-paid maintenance) only covers services every 10k miles. but i don't mind paying out of pocket for those add'tal oil changes just to keep everything in good shape. i plan on picking up the ext warranty as well, just in case, since we're planning to keep the car for several years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.