Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am interested in doing my own oil change on my 09 Tribeca. I have done it on my outbacks. How big a deal is it on the TRI ? :confused: Recommend fumoto valve? :confused:?Which side of the crush washer faces the oil pan ?:confused:
Thanks,,, KimoSAABe

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you do a quick search of the forum there a few threads regarding DIY oil change. For the most part it doesn't seem too big a deal and the common concensus here is to get a fumoto valve since the oil drain is accessed through a smallish opening behind a plastic pan which can potentially catch all the draining oil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just did my first on a '09 at 1300 mi. last weekend -- after 13 years of very simple oil changes on a Grand Cherokee. I miss that ground clearance, but the Tribeca isn't too bad. If you have rut in your driveway and are skinny, you might be able to squeeze yourself under without ramps like I did. Otherwise, you'll need to get it up in the air a little.

If you are going to use a Fumoto valve, like I did, consider removing the underbody panel for the first oil change. It's only held on by three bolts and a couple of push-pins -- not much more effort than it would be to open the oil filter access panel. There is an access hole in the underbody panel for the drain plug, but it's not large and you can still manage to spill oil on top of the panel. I have read that the '06/'07 model years are messier.

Also, if you use the Fumoto valve, consider notching the top few threads to allow complete drainage in the future. To coin a phrase, there's a post for that (I think Peaty posted it here).

I have also read about some people experiencing minor leaks with the valve, but my guess is that it's around the gasket and possibly due to improper installation. Ball valves in general are very reliable. So far, mine looks good.

Sorry -- I can't help with the orientation of the crush washer. My guess is that the flat side faces the bolt as with non-crush washers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should have no problem changing the oil on the 09. It's all easy to get to and not messy like the older models.

Put the larger flat side of the crush washer against the bolt head, with the smaller "crush" side towards the oil pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.