Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took 2006 tribeca to the dealer today for small issue.

When we bought the car, it had different tires on the front wheels vs the back.

The dealer cited this as an issue, stating this situation on a subaru could cause "the transmission to wear out."

I have never heard this, and wondered if anyone on the board could sanity check the dealers statement for me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've read this as well with regards to only replacing 2 tires, that the new tires should be "shaved" down to be the same tread depth.

I can not comment on the validity, only that i've read it on several tire sites.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Presumably the issue is that differing rolling circumferences between the front and rear pair will put undue strain on the centre diff. This will happen over time as the fronts wear out faster than the rears but I find it hard to believe that this is a major problem.
Having different tyre manufacturers tyres may be a bigger issue because of the variance in actual circumference from one manufacturer to another. I still find it hard to believe that if they are the same notional size that the dealer was doing anything other than covering his arse!

Having said that, I've just switched our wheels front to rear to even up wear so that when the time comes I can replace a set of four. I'll be trying the Michelin Diamaris that seems to be the default SUV fitment over here.
I've never had a car so gentle on its tyres. I think we'll be getting in excess of 40k miles out of the first set, my wife's old Mazda 5 had illegal tyres at its first service with 12k on the clock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes this is true. Two of my good friends are Subaru techs and have always told me that mis-matching tred designs are the issue as they grip differently putting strain on the diffs.

Save yourself the troubles and pick up some new or matching rubber :tup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts