Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't have a garage, I have to detail when just the right weather permits. Well today was the day. Slight overcast, cool and dry. I only had 3 hours to complete before the sun went down so I did the abridged version as the car wasn't that dirty.

First and foremost for a stress free and easy clean up.....tape the car! By the way, you can use normal 3M painters tape, but on the rubber gaskets, use the low adhesive 3M painters tape. For some reason, there is a little residue left behind.

Then I ran over it with Meguiars M80 paint cleaner. I typically use a clay bar prior to this, but I was tight on time and the B9 wasn't that bad. Oh and I used a Porter Cable random orbital buffer.

After that, a nice coat of Meguiars NXT Gen wax/ polish. Again, short on time as I normally do two coats. I really wanted to try out the No. 7 Glaze, but no time and I didn't have another clean sponge bonnet. The Mothers Back to Black will be worked on tomorrow.

Finally, a mirror shot....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cant tell initially, but the mirror shot helps. Great job.

3 hours? Nice to get that time to wax the car. You made that car (crx?) jealous.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3hrs was a def the quick version for me. When I do all the steps, I would take a good 6-7 hours; but I'm anal like that. Besides, I only do it twice a year. When I clean cars, I have all that time to myself and I take my tiem and enjoy it. Actually the B9 was ok, but the glaze and wax gave the paint some depth and definilty shine. With the M80, I was able to pull out a lot of the minor scratches, but I have to go over some parts of the car again with something more aggressive to pull out some of the deeper ones. That will have to wait until the fall.

Now I need to wait for the right day to do my new Impreza.

As for hiring out, I get that asked all the time. What I would have to charge would be ridiculous compared to what the car wash detailers have since they don't do some steps I do. I only do my cars and some very very close friends.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fidodaputa said:
I was wondering what was the tape for?? Sorry i never waxed my car therefore I want to know more before waxing my own B9.

Cheers
You don't have to tape it down. Since I use a machine I don't want to have to worry about applying glaze/ wax to parts I don't want. It is especially helpful keeping out glaze/ wax residue out of cracks. Basically it just makes for easy clean up.

If you just apply by hand, you can just be really careful and skip taping the car. Have fun waxing your B9. It's a lot of car to work on ;)

If you really want to get serious about detailing techniques, buy this DVD.

How-to Use the PC for Show Car Results
Learn how to polish your paint like a show car by hand or machine!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Magic Marker said:
As for hiring out, I get that asked all the time. What I would have to charge would be ridiculous compared to what the car wash detailers have since they don't do some steps I do. I only do my cars and some very very close friends.
Ok forget the hiring out. LOL, Next time you do the Impreza can I come and you can show me how to do mine? hahahaha... BTW, great job on the Detail MM. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts