Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2k8 Tribeca and when I went to plug in my phone charger in the console it was dead. I tried the other outlet and it was dead also.

I then tried using the aux input w/ my phone and w/ my shuffle and same result.

My first thought is that it's the fuse, but I checked what I think is the right one (20v under the hood) and it was fine.

Anyone else run into this issue or have any ideas what could be causing it?

·
Registered
679 Posts
SteveMcGarrett said:
I just purchased a 2k8 Tribeca and when I went to plug in my phone charger in the console it was dead. I tried the other outlet and it was dead also.

The Aux-In will not recharge the phone or the iPOD. Think of it merely as a way for the sound signal to get out - kinda like a headphone. :)

My first thought is that it's the fuse, but I checked what I think is the right one (20v under the hood) and it was fine.
Check also the Mini fuse panel inside the cabin. It's over by the driver's left knee. Rip open the panel door, and the key is on the inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ours is out also. I was hoping it was a fuse but haven't had the time to look. Both front are out but the rear work just fine.

·
Registered
775 Posts
thefro said:
The fusible links have most likely burned out that part of the outlet itself. It's basically a piece of solder that melts when there's too much current going through it, like a fuse before the actual fuse box. Here's a picture:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2315628&page=165

You can replace it yourself with a piece of wire or another piece of solder to get it working.
I know it's old, but the thermal fuse is only present on a real cigarette lighter socket, as a safety measure in case the bi-metal strip fails to release the lighter after it gets hot. It is not found on 12V power outlets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My problem was not exactly the same as the original posters problem (my aux in works fine). My problem was like "roadtrip"s, the outlets didn't work after a dime fell in there and shorted it out.

The fuse under the hood fixed it right up. Good luck future searchers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A couple of questions.
  1. I looked fuses under the steering wheel, but I do not understand which one is, and anyway I checked all and there wasn't any cut off. The only one I found seams to be related to the rear plugs (and they work).
  2. How can I unmount the hood, to check that peace of solder?
Mickey

·
Registered
141 Posts
I found it.
For the '08 version of tribeca, the fuse (20A) for power plugs between front seats is in the engine room.
In my case it was difficolt to open, since I have the LPG controller mounted over it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone else run into this issue or have any ideas what could be causing it?
The fusible links have most likely burned out that part of the outlet itself. It's basically a piece of solder that melts when there's too much current going through it, like a fuse before the actual fuse box. Here's a picture:

Official Pittsburgh Thread V7.14159 - Page 165 - NASIOC

You can replace it yourself with a piece of wire or another piece of solder to get it working.
Any idea how to get at this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
One of the first things I do to any new (to me) car is to route direct battery power to the power outlet. Like all cars were set up in the good ol days. Especially in these times of phone charging, who wants to have to put the key in to charge their phone?... NOBODY!! Of course, you can run your own fused wire right to the battery for this, but there are more elegant ways to go about it. I can't remember where I tapped in for our 07 Beca, but I will try to post a little tutorial here when I get around to that in our newest 06.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts