Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others may disagree, but I am persuaded that DRL's are little more than an energy drain and that we are sentient beings and should be capable of controlling our own vehicle functions. Indeed, the presence of DRL's on a vehicle may tend to delay turning on the vehicle's headlamps at night, resulting in NO illumination of tailights.

The dealer says that these are federally mandated. However in truth, there is no such federal law or regulation.

Does anyone know how to disable DRL's on the B9 Tribeca?

Gary K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Engaging the emergency brake disables the DRLs (I don't know why Subaru has it designed this way). Anyway, there must be a way to locate the switch tied to the emergency brake and permanently disable the DRLs independent of engaging the brake.

Good Luck...Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
lanaina said:
Indeed, the presence of DRL's on a vehicle may tend to delay turning on the vehicle's headlamps at night, resulting in NO illumination of tailights.
Only with real stupid drivers. The rest of us instinctivly turn on our headlights at night the moment we start out cars along with fastening seatbelts etc. :lol:

Try to come up with them as you will, but there is no valid reason to disable the DRL's. Its kind of like asking for a way to disable the driver's airbag...

(P.S., this isn't actually aimed at you personally, but I've heard people ask about this before and I cannot understand where people are coming from on this one)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
449 Posts
One thing you should know about the e-brake, DRL's and brake fluid level. They are all linked. The red "Brake" light will come on under two conditions. One - the e-brake is set, Two - the level in the brake fluid tank goes low (prox switch when float gets low enough). Both of these things will turn off the DRL's. The reason I was told that the DRL's go off with the e-brake is if you are parked in a drive in movie you need to have your lights off and or parked on the side of the road. Some countries you are supposed to have only your "parking lights" on when you are parked and not your headlamps. Which is the reason we have the switch on top of the steering wheel.

details here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803

As far as how to disable the DRL's, on some scoobies it's as easy as unplugging a resistor by a strut tower in the front. My Forester, is like that. However I think it's harder on the B9. I think you need to unplug something that is behind the glovebox. I never really looked into it because I like having DRL's myself but realize it's really up to the individual.

edit: I just checked the relay wiring diagram and it seems to be up under the dash (I have no idea how far) on the drivers side behind the speedo area I think. Looks like the module has two harnesses plugged into it. Each harness has a fair amount of wires. I'm not sure unplugging the harness would only disable the DRL's it may make other things not function.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaty said:
One thing you should know about the e-brake, DRL's and brake fluid level. They are all linked. The red "Brake" light will come on under two conditions. One - the e-brake is set, Two - the level in the brake fluid tank goes low (prox switch when float gets low enough). Both of these things will turn off the DRL's. The reason I was told that the DRL's go off with the e-brake is if you are parked in a drive in movie you need to have your lights off and or parked on the side of the road. Some countries you are supposed to have only your "parking lights" on when you are parked and not your headlamps. Which is the reason we have the switch on top of the steering wheel.

details here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803

As far as how to disable the DRL's, on some scoobies it's as easy as unplugging a resistor by a strut tower in the front. My Forester, is like that. However I think it's harder on the B9. I think you need to unplug something that is behind the glovebox. I never really looked into it because I like having DRL's myself but realize it's really up to the individual.

edit: I just checked the relay wiring diagram and it seems to be up under the dash (I have no idea how far) on the drivers side behind the speedo area I think. Looks like the module has two harnesses plugged into it. Each harness has a fair amount of wires. I'm not sure unplugging the harness would only disable the DRL's it may make other things not function.
thanks for the info. I am sure there will be more on this as more B9's ship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HB_Dad said:
Only with real stupid drivers. The rest of us instinctivly turn on our headlights at night the moment we start out cars along with fastening seatbelts etc. :lol:

Try to come up with them as you will, but there is no valid reason to disable the DRL's. Its kind of like asking for a way to disable the driver's airbag...

(P.S., this isn't actually aimed at you personally, but I've heard people ask about this before and I cannot understand where people are coming from on this one)
There is no valid reason to have DRL's. Not a single controlled study has linked them to increased safety. OTOH, airbags have well documented safety benefits; the notion of disabling airbags is not at all similar to disabling DRL's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
lanaina said:
There is no valid reason to have DRL's. Not a single controlled study has linked them to increased safety. OTOH, airbags have well documented safety benefits; the notion of disabling airbags is not at all similar to disabling DRL's.
Next time you are on the freeway, glance at oncoming traffic out of the corner of your eye and tell me the ones with DRL's don't stand out first... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Has anyone yet disabled the Tribeca's DRL's? If so, please describe how.

I followed the posted directions to disable the DRL's for the Legacy & Outback, but the wiring underneath the dash for the Tribeca is very different.

I have installed a ProLumen H7 HID kit and do not want the lights to flicker when the switch is in the "off" position as that can destroy the HID's.

I know that by leaving the switch permanently in the "on" position, the flickering problem is solved. But, I would prefer to have the option to turn off the lights altogether.

If requested, does anyone know if dealers will disable the DRL's?

I would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
why get aftermarkets when you can get OEM quality kits?

anyway, we are trying to disable the DRL Lights, not advertise cheap HID kits
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hey rawr215, what's with the tone of your reply?
A. To my knowledge, there is not an OEM HID kit available. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
B. You stated that you wanted to install an HID kit and I was giving you (and other board members) the contact information regarding the kit that I installed. Isn't that the spirit of this website/forum -- sharing of information?
BTW: The kit appears well constructed and has a lifetime guarantee.

Regards,

ok-cami
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Peaty said:
I just checked the relay wiring diagram and it seems to be up under the dash (I have no idea how far) on the drivers side behind the speedo area I think. Looks like the module has two harnesses plugged into it. Each harness has a fair amount of wires. I'm not sure unplugging the harness would only disable the DRL's it may make other things not function.
My wife and I just got a 2006 B9 Tribeca LTD 7-passenger on Friday. I've unplugged the DRL box on the passenger side of my 2004 WRX and want to do the same on the Tribeca.

Peaty, can you send me the wiring diagram?

LMK, thanks!

Rob
[email protected]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
449 Posts
The wiring diagram does not show the location but the harness plug setup does. I posted it on this site somewhere I'm not positve. The thing is it's somewhere deep behind the center console. Behind the radio somewhere, it's not easy to get to like the Impreza's platform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello,

Did anyone figure out how to disable the DRL's? I had an HID kit installed, and now when my lights are off, the relays send underpowered voltage to the HID's causing them to flicker (strobe like). For those who are opposed to disabling the DRL's, this is a valid reason to have them off.

I asked the installer to move them to my fog lights, but he recommended I don't do that, except disable them.

They couldn't determine where to disable it and if any other problems may arise. As of right now, I use my emergency brake to turn them off prior to turning off the car. Then when I start the car, I release the foot brake to turn them on.

Thank you in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I was looking at the schematics the other day and it looks like there is no easy way to disable them. To me, it looks like if you disconnect the DRL module that you may not have high beems. It looks like they get their ground through the DRL module. I couldn't see anything to disconnect that wouldn't result in something else not working. The only thing I can see is to cut the "Gr" (green?) wire at the DRL module to remove the switching ground for the module. Maybe someone else can see if I missed anything obvious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
hawker800mech said:
I was looking at the schematics the other day and it looks like there is no easy way to disable them. To me, it looks like if you disconnect the DRL module that you may not have high beems. It looks like they get their ground through the DRL module. I couldn't see anything to disconnect that wouldn't result in something else not working. The only thing I can see is to cut the "Gr" (green?) wire at the DRL module to remove the switching ground for the module. Maybe someone else can see if I missed anything obvious.
Thank you for your input. I am taking it back to the shop today, hopefully they can figure it out.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top