Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned on other threads an intermittent and loud creaking coming from just behind the instrument binnacle on our UK (RHD) '07 Tribeca.
The noise disappears if I press on the dash just behind the instruments.
The only item I could find in that position was the Nav antenna. This is glued to a metal plate and screwed to the plastic underneath the dash:
Technology Electronic device Gadget Electronics Vehicle

Technology Electronic device Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive design

I've wrapped it in foam and refitted but the noise came back after a couple of days. I'm going to try to fit it in another location to see if the noise changes - at least that should confirm if it really is the antenna that is causing the problem.

It sounds like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other and occurs with body shake but even over relatively smooth roads there is a fairly constant "chatter" from it. Because the moise is intermittent, however, it takes a few days to work ou whether a "fix" has actually solved the problem.

Any thoughts or observations?.........and yes I know the steering wheel is on the wrong side :):)!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, you're brave. I would never pull apart my dash. I had a creaking noise in the dash, but not from the cluster area. The dealer pulled out the entire dash and installed silencing tape in various areas. It seemed to do the trick for the most part.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer shut down a couple of months ago. The new one has never seen a Tribeca. I'm not going pay him to learn how the dash comes apart! :)

Once I realised that the side panel has to come off first it was all pretty easy anyhow. I've only undone a couple of clips and three screws to get this far - it is not nearly as bad as it looks. I would never take the whole thing out myself - there is so much to get wrong on reassembly, particularly cable routing. I'd probably end up with more noises than I started with.

This creak, however, is driving me to distraction. I have to do something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rather than leave this without conclusion I thought I should add that I have solved the problem thanks to a member of the UK Legacy forum who was experiencing a similar problem.
The creak is caused by the front edge of the dash top contacting the windscreen. Pressing on the top of the dash just behind the instruments must move it sufficiently to stop the creak - hence my looking under the dash top.
A thin piece of grey foam between the dash and the screen has cured the problem completely.

I can't believe that I overlooked something so simple!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine squeaks a little at times, but I can live with it.
Trouble with "Assembled in USA" !!
I have probably just insulted half of you...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have a picture?

Hi Simon,

I finally managed to track down the tread again... (I knew I should have bookmarked it last time...)

Mine have the same creak, mostly when it is cold out. Initially I also thought it was the instrument cluster as pressing it towards the windsreen stops the creak, but so too when pressing down on the dash behind the instrument cluster.

Do you have a picture of your fix this dashboard creak? Was it only in one particular place and how did you test/find the exact spot(s)?

I presume you're referring to the grey/black rolls of foam strips you get in different widths and thicknesses that has glue on the one side and that it can be slid inbetween the dash and the windscreen without removing the dash?

If I recall correctly there is already a thin piece of foam like this in between the windscreen and the dash. So was your fix to "replace/reinforce" the existing foam or was it because the dash was not rubbing up against the foam already there?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Metallic Rattle

Hi Simon,

It also have another metallic rattle which seems to come from the airbag in the C-pillar (?) (the part leading from the windsreen to the roof) but that is only on VERY rutted dirt roads and is even harder to reproduce the the dashboard creak.

I'm guessing it can be this metal plate that you had to secure in this post. as even though mine does not have sat/nav it might still have the metal plate but not the antenna.

Will post back once I've had the nerve to look as I tend to break more than what I fix when it comes to working on cars and bikes. (Don't tell this to my fiancé whose brakepad I've replaced ;))

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul,
My creak had nothing to do with the metal plate in the end. The antenna is actually glued to the plate so I doubt it would be there if you have no Sat Nav.
All I did was to wrap a piece of foam in black felt (so that it was less obtrusive) and slide between the screen and dash on the far right hand side. We have had no creaks since then. It is my wife's car and I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow but I will take a picture then if it helps.
We've been lucky and have had no rear seat or tailgate rattles with our Tribeca - more than I can say for my '07 Lexus which is the most creaky/rattly car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick response. Like my first boss used to say of one of my old cars, "This is a talkative little car." Now, I would have never have thought a Lexus would be more "talkative" than a Subaru... But it is good to know as my fiancé is also a big Lexus fan.

The picture would help thanks as from your initial post I would have thought it was in the area behind the instrument cluster, but now it seems it's the right hand side edge/corner that needs to be muzzled.

The dealer would hopefully come back to me tomorrow to see if we can get all the parts needed to lessen the noise from the second row seats, here in South Africa. For now I simply fold the seats down to stop them rattling.

Until tomorrow then.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm no Lexus fan. I only bought the bloody thing because I was worried about the future of Subaru in the UK. My fourth dealer had just shut down and the current UK model range was (and is) dreadful.
The Lexus (IS250) is a poorly built, poorly engineered car and the dealers are particularly unhelpful. It has lots of toys and showroom appeal but is a world away from BMW & Mercedes in terms of build quality/dynamics and not nearly as well thought out and put together as the old Legacy.

I'm on the look out for a good 2008/2009 Legacy Spec B to replace it after only six months of ownership.

If nothing else it has made me appreciate the Tribeca more!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
We test drove an IS when we were shopping for my wife's car and it didn't seem to be very well put together as you mentioned. Surprised me as it was the first Lexus I had driven. We ended up getting her a TSX and she loves it. I haven't heard one weird creak out of that thing in the 3 yrs we've owned it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks

Hi Simon,

Thanks, for the pic!

As I expected the picture I had in my mind was different to what you did ;-)

For example it is a much longer strip that I anticipated. Was that because that was the area rubbing or did you simply take the "bigger hammer" solution so as not to have to redo it? I'm judging that it is at least 15cm in length?

Then, the part that can be seen on the photo is that about half the width of the foam, i.e. the other half is below the dash. So it stop both up-down and forward-backward movement of that part of the dash.

It still boggles the mind that it only happens in cold weather... ...as it means that either once warmed up the plastic is more plyable, i.e. it still rubs but it does not produce a sound when colder/harder, or that the car is actually "smaller" in cold weather and/or that the dash gets pulled closer to the windscreen as the (metal) parts holding it to the frame of the car shrinks.

Anyway, thanks again for all your effort. I will post back when I have applied your fix. I use the car about once a month so it might be a while before I have a result.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, big hammer!
Actually, that was the size of the piece of foam that fell to hand at the time. It worked instantly so I decided to leave it as it was and just cover with felt to make it look neater.
Initially the creak was at its worst in the cold but eventually it was happening all the time. With the Lexus I have the seat, speaker grills, seat belts and one of the vents chiming in aswell as the dash. At least it has a very good stereo to drown it all out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lol

:lol:

I can relate to all of it. Especially, if it works/ed don't touch it!

It's funny though how some cars inspire you to pamper them and see to their every need whereas with others you couldn't care less and the B9 is not even Italian ;-)

Will keep you posted...

Regards

Paul

Ps. My enquiry to the local dealer regarding getting hold of the parts to fix the 2nd row seat rattle, has now gone up the chain to Subaru South Africa, which is never a good sign as it means it's not even in the parts list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At first I thought it was the instrument panel, stop the creak by windsreen on, but it is also true, when you press the dash behind the instrument panel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seat repair

Hi All,

It's been such a long time that I can't remember where the seat post was...

Anyway, just some feedback.

The dealer finally got the parts (had to come from US) for the seat rattle fix. Dealer did the recall/work for free even though the car is now out of warranty.

I can report that it has worked. The seats still rattle, but it is now not such an irritating metal on metal rattle. But then again there are so many other rattles that it is hard to tell where it is all coming from. Just glad that the irritation levels are much lower now.

The next step is to to the tailgate fix (foam under the plastic cover).

All the best.

Regards

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts