Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never driven a Subaru before Friday morning. I searched about the Tribeca and found people who loved it but most of all a lot of satisfied Subaru owners.

With my search for the "perfect" cuv/suv that can seat at least 6-7 passengers, I believe I am narrowing it down to the CX-9 and the '08 Tribeca.

What are the Subaru owners (or anyones) feelings on the CX-9 v Tribeca vehicles? I drove a CX-9 yesterday and they both drive nice, feel/look good on inside & out ... all nicely equipped etc.

PBVTX

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well I really can't comment on the CX-9 as we only test drove the CX-7. We did dissect it in the showroom and thought it was very roomy. I'm not a big Mazda fan. If anything, I wouldn't buy a new CX-9 based on the pure fact that it is the first year of a brand new model.

We make it a point never to buy the first year of a new generation no matter what the brand. Let them work out the kinks.

Go for the 08 Tribeca. It's the 3rd year and they made some decent improvements from 06-07. Or better yet, look for an 07 and get a good deal on a demo or used one. That way you won't absorb the depreciation of a new car and you can't beat Subaru's experience in the AWD market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks magic.
The CX-9 & CX-7 are in their 2nd year ... 07 was first time out I believe.

I am not a big Ford fan so that dings the Mazda for me even though I think the Mazda must do their (or some/most) of their design/engineering with their own group b/c it's a pretty well suited cuv.

I had thought of an '07 Tribeca and that still might be a possibility but I do like the more conservative front end (and I read a lot of comments that people don't too so I know the argument and actually appreciate it); however, that wouldn't be my deciding factor.

One thing that did cause me some concern and this is probably minor but will have to be adjusted too is the steering wheel in the Tribeca seems farther out and there's no telescoping of the steering column/wheel - just up/down. I found myself trying to get comfortable by scooting the seat up (but then legs felt a little cramped or uncomfortable) but my hands felt better on the steering wheel. I think that's still minor though. The CX-9 did telescope in/out and I liked that ...

CX-9 seemed just a bit nicer on the inside but seriously, it's really a toss up. I think the CX-9 also seemed roomier on the inside from side-to-side room ...

What I liked about the Tribeca was interior seemed just a bit nicer in terms of ****pit etc. Liked it even though CX-9 is really nice too. Tribeca will probably be maybe slightly less in $s. And, I haven't gotten to see a 7-passenger yet but depending on which one is best in the back seat and 3rd row, I think that might be the deciding factor...

Ford has the engine ... I really don't know the history of the Subarus but the sales guys were touting the Boxer engine in the Tribeca and it seems really nice to me too. Also, I like the fact that you can get a DVD+NAVI in the Tribeca with a sunroof and in the CX-9, you can get DVD or Sunroof (ie, from factory ... which is what I want).

I guess the AWD is something I really don't know the differences on between the two but it seems the Subarus are known for their AWD and I have read that the Acuras RDX/MDX(?s) might be a little new on engineering but the Subys are proven. I don't know... AWD isn't the saving grace either but would be nice to have and the Suby and CX-9 both drove well with their versions.

Well, I still don't know... I had started comparing the CX-9, Acadia/Enclave/Outlook, Pilot, MDX ... and really, out of those, I liked the MDX first but it's $$s so then the CX-9 ranked best for me. But, Subaru has been advertising on tv a little bit and got me interested in their cuv and it's really a nice looking, driving cuv.

thx. pbvtx

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
pearlbluevtx said:
thanks magic.
The CX-9 & CX-7 are in their 2nd year ... 07 was first time out I believe.

I am not a big Ford fan so that dings the Mazda for me even though I think the Mazda must do their (or some/most) of their design/engineering with their own group b/c it's a pretty well suited cuv.

I had thought of an '07 Tribeca and that still might be a possibility but I do like the more conservative front end (and I read a lot of comments that people don't too so I know the argument and actually appreciate it); however, that wouldn't be my deciding factor.

One thing that did cause me some concern and this is probably minor but will have to be adjusted too is the steering wheel in the Tribeca seems farther out and there's no telescoping of the steering column/wheel - just up/down. I found myself trying to get comfortable by scooting the seat up (but then legs felt a little cramped or uncomfortable) but my hands felt better on the steering wheel. I think that's still minor though. The CX-9 did telescope in/out and I liked that ...

CX-9 seemed just a bit nicer on the inside but seriously, it's really a toss up. I think the CX-9 also seemed roomier on the inside from side-to-side room ...

What I liked about the Tribeca was interior seemed just a bit nicer in terms of ****pit etc. Liked it even though CX-9 is really nice too. Tribeca will probably be maybe slightly less in $s. And, I haven't gotten to see a 7-passenger yet but depending on which one is best in the back seat and 3rd row, I think that might be the deciding factor...

Ford has the engine ... I really don't know the history of the Subarus but the sales guys were touting the Boxer engine in the Tribeca and it seems really nice to me too. Also, I like the fact that you can get a DVD+NAVI in the Tribeca with a sunroof and in the CX-9, you can get DVD or Sunroof (ie, from factory ... which is what I want).

I guess the AWD is something I really don't know the differences on between the two but it seems the Subarus are known for their AWD and I have read that the Acuras RDX/MDX(?s) might be a little new on engineering but the Subys are proven. I don't know... AWD isn't the saving grace either but would be nice to have and the Suby and CX-9 both drove well with their versions.

Well, I still don't know... I had started comparing the CX-9, Acadia/Enclave/Outlook, Pilot, MDX ... and really, out of those, I liked the MDX first but it's $$s so then the CX-9 ranked best for me. But, Subaru has been advertising on tv a little bit and got me interested in their cuv and it's really a nice looking, driving cuv.

thx. pbvtx
All good points. I didn't realize that the CX7/9 are in their second year. Like I said, I'm not a big Mazda fan. Never mind the first experience I had at the local Mazda dealer. That experience is for another thread!

To this day, I have not and will not buy an American engineered car. Note I said Engineered and not built in America. My 96 Honda Civic was built in Ohio, but engineered in Japan (and I'm sure other places I don't know about). I don't blame auto workers on the quality of cars (although they are a small part of it). My used Civic runs like a champ for an 11 year old car whereas my new 93 Chevy Cavalier took a crap on me after 6 years.

Back on topic. I love the styling of a new MDX/ Acadia/ Enclave and Outlook, but they Pilot lacks style interior and exterior. I think you have some really nice choices there. Of course we're all gonna say get a Tribeca, but you need to make the ultimate decision where to spend your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
magic.
Pretty much agree with you on your 'made/engineered in' points. Honda fan here ... after having a Suburban, RAM 3/4 ton mega cab, Saturn ... quality is not the best in any of them when you compare them to the Hondas & Toyotas we've had. (the latter aren't perfect either but they just seem more solid)

Problem I have with the GM (acadia etc) bunch is they seem top-heavy and just not "solid" on the trim out etc. However, they are heading in the right direction but still "gm'ish" to me.

Some of my family have a pilot - great car, they love it, it runs .. for me, it drives & looks "bland'ish". Not really a realistic choice that I would buy at this time. If it looked more like an MDX or had more styling, it would be a front-runner I think.

thx.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I bought my 07 B9, the CX-9 came out two months later. I would have taken a serious look at it. The CX-9 has a Ford engine? Didn't know that. I've had a couple Fords and they have been very good cars/trucks. The Subie engines are very good and proven. Very smooth for a 6 cyclinder. It seems that the Maxda has a few extra options that the Tribeca should (HID lights, LED taillights, telescoping wheel (yes it sits a little far out for me)). I think that Subaru puts a lot of there cost in the drivetrain quality. Look at the old Subies, they may be rust buckets but people still beat them up off raod.

Let us know which you buy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife testdrove the CX9 before the Tribeca. It's much roomier, has better pickup of the line. We would buy it but they did not want to deal even on the 07 leftovers. The fully loaded CX9 we wanted they asked over 37 K with the sticker of 39. My wife did not mine a used Tribeca (factory demo) with 7K miles on it. We got it for $ 29K. She loves it, it's tight but for hauling the kids to the practices it's great. But we dowmgraded from a Sequoia, and I drive Ram Megacab, so we are "room-spoiled".
The CX9 is built in Hiroshima with most of the parts from Japan, except for the engine (in 07). In 08 is almost 100 % Japan.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The AWD in the subaru is better and its proven.

The mazda does use the ford engine, though the 2008 models of the (still ford) engine are built in japan. The platform is the same as the mazda 6, ford fusion, ford edge, etc.

If you actually need the 6-7 passenger room (not just once or twice/year), then you have to go sit in those seats. Have your wife or someone go with you on a test drive and sit in the back for half an hour while you drive around. And make sure the middle row seats are comfortable for someone sitting there, not slid all the way forward to make room for the 3rd row.

I haven't sat in the CX-9, but Subaru's 3rd row seating is for young kids only or short term emergency use. I'd never want to sit back there on a long drive.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
hawker800mech said:
When I bought my 07 B9, the CX-9 came out two months later. I would have taken a serious look at it. The CX-9 has a Ford engine? Didn't know that. I've had a couple Fords and they have been very good cars/trucks. The Subie engines are very good and proven. Very smooth for a 6 cyclinder. It seems that the Maxda has a few extra options that the Tribeca should (HID lights, LED taillights, telescoping wheel (yes it sits a little far out for me)). I think that Subaru puts a lot of there cost in the drivetrain quality. Look at the old Subies, they may be rust buckets but people still beat them up off raod.

Let us know which you buy.
If I'm correct (and I think I am) Ford has a controlling interest in Mazda. That was another factor why we didn't consider the CX-7.

I was talking to the Subie Dealer Owner and he said that Subaru didn't go with Xenon headlamps b/c of potential theft. Besides that, adding xenon and LED tails will jack up the price tag. The halogen projectors work fine for me and give off a nice cut off. I'm just going to add some white/ blue bulbs for the HID affect.

Remember when Nissan debuted the Maxima with HID's? The entire assembly was in the headlamp housing (ballast, igniter) and people were getting them stolen left and right. It wasn't a hard boost. It took a lawsuit for Nissan to do a security retro. A lady in my work building has hers stolen twice in our work parking light during the day! So I'd still love to have Xenon, but I'm ok with halogens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Magic Marker said:
I was talking to the Subie Dealer Owner and he said that Subaru didn't go with Xenon headlamps b/c of potential theft. Besides that, adding xenon and LED tails will jack up the price tag. The halogen projectors work fine for me and give off a nice cut off. I'm just going to add some white/ blue bulbs for the HID affect.
The canadian version of the Tribeca comes with xenon lights standard. (But it costs about $15000 more than the US version)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info ... we are in same boat. I have Mega Cab 3/4 ton Cummins and wife drives a Toy Sequoia. She loves it, it's ok for me but have started liking the size of driving a smaller car (yeah, from a Mega Cab, a Sequoia is dinky!!).

Great info...

Tribeca_PL said:
My wife testdrove the CX9 before the Tribeca. It's much roomier, has better pickup of the line. We would buy it but they did not want to deal even on the 07 leftovers. The fully loaded CX9 we wanted they asked over 37 K with the sticker of 39. My wife did not mine a used Tribeca (factory demo) with 7K miles on it. We got it for $ 29K. She loves it, it's tight but for hauling the kids to the practices it's great. But we dowmgraded from a Sequoia, and I drive Ram Megacab, so we are "room-spoiled".
The CX9 is built in Hiroshima with most of the parts from Japan, except for the engine (in 07). In 08 is almost 100 % Japan.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
bionicbadger said:
The canadian version of the Tribeca comes with xenon lights standard. (But it costs about $15000 more than the US version)
That's an interesting fact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone great information - glad I posted and I understand this is a Suby forum but like to hear from people who have them, love them etc... so thanks.

As for the 6-7 pass & back / 3rd row seats ... this is for our children, backup car for me when driving them around etc. Wife has the people hauler but I would like to have something smaller than my truck (but still want it too!! LOL) to move around on daily basis and haul kids if needed safely, comfortably and just manuveuring around since my MegaCab is a big dude.

I don't plan on sitting in the back seats etc but 4 kids that will and they are young. Will probably have to get Suburban/Tahoe or whatever is out in a few more years as kids get bigger.

bionicbadger said:
The AWD in the subaru is better and its proven.

The mazda does use the ford engine, though the 2008 models of the (still ford) engine are built in japan. The platform is the same as the mazda 6, ford fusion, ford edge, etc.

If you actually need the 6-7 passenger room (not just once or twice/year), then you have to go sit in those seats. Have your wife or someone go with you on a test drive and sit in the back for half an hour while you drive around. And make sure the middle row seats are comfortable for someone sitting there, not slid all the way forward to make room for the 3rd row.

I haven't sat in the CX-9, but Subaru's 3rd row seating is for young kids only or short term emergency use. I'd never want to sit back there on a long drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that is incredible! wow. Must have diamond lenses or gold etching around those...

bionicbadger said:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
our local mazda dealer has a cx-9 that has 2,000 miles on it - an '08 - and they have it at $36,900 and stickers like $39,500 or something. i think they should be able to do better than that ... and it has nav/sunroof and i really want nav+dvd. Tribeca can give me all three I think... so that's in the Suby favor for those.

Tribeca_PL said:

·
Registered
124 Posts
pearlbluevtx said:
that is incredible! wow. Must have diamond lenses or gold etching around those...
heh, nope. They are the same as the US except for the xenon headlights (height adjustable), standard block heater, instrumentation in metric, and 3 years maintenance included.

I imported mine from the US and saved a ton of money compared to what they go for here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
bionicbadger said:
the giant price difference is due to exchange rate. Subaru of Canada priced cars they're selling based on old $US/$CA exchange rate which was about 50c US for $1CA few years ago. So Subaru cars in Canada were actually priced about the same if not cheaper than same cars sold in US( and they all are still made in IN, USA - except for Imprezas and Foresters).

Now, with Canadian currency trading at about same value as US, and inability to change retail prices (think about what that would do to used car market and resale value) Subaru of Canada is stuck with prices way higher that US market has. That's why (IMO) they have to offer something USDM does not have - like HIDs, etc. In fact, there is a lot of Canadians these days who buy Subarus directly in US saving a lot of dough. This site (and cars101.com) has some detailed info on that.

I was actually thinking about buying new MY08 LGT Wagon in Canada since SOA does not sell them in US anymore but had to back off purely because of price tag that was coming up based on exchange rate.

nasioc and legacygt.com were full of rant on this topic a while ago.

·
Registered
160 Posts
pearlbluevtx said:
As for the 6-7 pass & back / 3rd row seats ... this is for our children, backup car for me when driving them around etc. Wife has the people hauler but I would like to have something smaller than my truck (but still want it too!! LOL) to move around on daily basis and haul kids if needed safely, comfortably and just manuveuring around since my MegaCab is a big dude.

I don't plan on sitting in the back seats etc but 4 kids that will and they are young.
We have two boys of 12 and 8 years; they LOVE the 3rd row seat, it's very cozy. and they say there's plenty of room there for them, so as soon as they are happy there, we are fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Magic Marker said:
The STI's have come with HID's since introduction in 04. At least make it an option.

I ended up getting JDM PIAA 4100K for the low beams and fogs through eBay. Very nice light and color. Kind of pricy, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts