Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the purpose of this retention ring on the inner side of the CV Axle?

Edit: I found a picture (attached now to this post) online showing that the retention ring/clip snaps into to the diff holding the axle in place.

Any concerns with it sticking out as seen on the picture? I know it is not going to fall out though.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
The purpose of the ring is to hold the CV axle in. They do recommend that you put a new one on when you remove the axel. I cant tell if that one is too stretched out or if that is normal. If you can, get a new one to compare and really just to replace to be safe. They should not be too expensive.

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's normal. As long as the retainer clip isn't sticking out so that you can see an arc that is more than 25% of the circumference, you're good. You need some of the clip to be sticking out though, otherwise, it won't "click" in to the center diff properly.

Make sure you hear that "click" when you reinstall. Having an axle pop out on the road isn't a huge deal, but it is a major PITA because you will have to tow it (you can't simply pop it back it on the road... you have to clean out any metal shavings and relube first).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts