Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have corresponded with Niles, who is known for making rather large custom sway bars for the Imprezas for autocrossers, to inquire about making me a larger rear sway bar for the Tribeca. The front sway bar is 25mm and the rear is 16mm. I think that the addition of a larger rear sway could make a dramatic effect in handling without sacrificing the ride too much. It worked with my wife's Legacy wagon.:)

Here is what he had to say:

"Thanks for the e-mail. What size bar would you guys be interested in? I have built a setup capable of doing everything from small diameter rod up to about one and a half inches. I'll do a little research after work today to find some pictures and try to get an idea of the best way to do it, and if there will need to be any work related to endlinks. It typically takes me about 48 hours to fabricate a bar once I've got a car to work with, so I can address any clearance issues. If it's a straight forward design I may be able to copy a stock bar.
Depending on the thickness of the bar and other issues I can typically offer them for between $200 to $250 with bushings, with the most complicated bars just a little more than that, and small diameter bars towards the lower end."

If anyone is truely interested, post it here. It may help him even more if there is anyone in the Cleveland, OH area who would be able to use their Tribeca as a test bed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd consider it.

I'd be more interested in some performance drop springs though.... NO ONE makes them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ninefourteener said:
I'd consider it.

I'd be more interested in some performance drop springs though.... NO ONE makes them.
Agreed, I'd be more interested in lowering the B9 a bit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm interested in the sway. I've seen 20s on the Tribeca without lowering and they look like they stuff them well enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You know I'm in.

And lowering the Tribeca is easy and parts are only 200 I think. Stock none outback legacy springs should lower the car 1" I'm going to try it again when I get back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
SGT Goltz said:
You know I'm in.

And lowering the Tribeca is easy and parts are only 200 I think. Stock none outback legacy springs should lower the car 1" I'm going to try it again when I get back.
What year legacy springs? Do you know if the spring rates are compareable?

·
Registered
53 Posts
06 or 07 should work. As far as I was told they are physically the same length but have a slightly lighter spring rate those allowing them to sink lower. But because there not actual lowering springs that are usualy progressive rate springs it should still ride close to stock.

At least thats the theory of the parts guy that gave me the info. This guy did know his stuff. The dealer that I was dealing with was verry into selling modded cars. The owner of the dealership is only like 30 and he would go out and find cars to bring back moddify then sell when he got tired of them. At one point they had a Rolce Royce, a Ford GT, a Viper, a converted single turbo supra around 600WHP, A cobra clone, a Lotus elise, and COBB tunnings old demo STI, All for sale. So I'm inclined to trust them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got another email regarding the sway bar.

"What I could probably do is, take a stock swaybar, brackets, endlinks, and bushings, and use those things to make templates for new ones, put it all together, and be good to go. So what I would need is the stock bar, the brackets, the bushings, and the links. Then I could copy those things. I think what I could do is, if someone is willing to send me those parts, I will copy them, and send them back with the new bar. If the bar doesn't fit, i'll happily refund any payment+paypal fees made."

Due to the materials needed to develope the bar, I may have to back out due to the total possible cost. If anyone wants to step in I can forward you his email so you may get into direct contact with him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would absolutely purchase a rear sway bar kit if one was made available.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too would be interested........should help with cross winds, on and off ramps, and just overall more stable.........the guys with the new outbacks who increased from stock 19mm to 21mm says it makes quite a difference in the stability of that car..........

·
Registered
837 Posts
The tribeca is based off the 05-09 legacy, the sti is based off the same platform, why don't the bars interchange in the rear? Is it the height of the tribeca?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.