Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
This is an annoying issue. I don't think it can easily be diagnosed or even fixed, but it's really annoying. When driving on a standard smooth road (doesn't even have to be rough) there is a creaking/ squeaking noise coming from the interior of the dash. I can't explain it except that there must be some plastic somewhere in there rubbing.

Of course, it is not a consistent noise and I can't create it on demand. I'm thinking I still should tell the dealer, but I am sure they won't be able to recreate it.

Anyone have any suggestions besides turning up the volume on the radio? I would love to get it fixed during the warranty period and not have to live with it. I'm sure over time, it will only get worse.

BTW, it only seems to happen when it is in the upper 40's to low 50 degrees out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We have it too. I've pretty resigned to the fact that you can't fix it. Even taking apart the whole dashboard and putting it back together/tighter isn't likely to do anything.

Unfortunately the ol' saying goes that if it doesn't squeak or rattle it ain't a Subaru:p

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snork said:
We have it too. I've pretty resigned to the fact that you can't fix it. Even taking apart the whole dashboard and putting it back together/tighter isn't likely to do anything.

Unfortunately the ol' saying goes that if it doesn't squeak or rattle it ain't a Subaru:p
Well I guess I feel a little better that someone else is experiencing the same issue. Thanks for chiming in Snork.

I would think that Subaru's flagship vehicle would have been put together a bit better. My Civic is 3yrs old and still tight as it was new.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a service bulletin re. this issue. Just had mine fixed with a foam bumper kit installed between the ductwork and underside of the dash. Not at home now or I could post the TSB #.

·
Registered
552 Posts
blackmax said:
There is a service bulletin re. this issue. Just had mine fixed with a foam bumper kit installed between the ductwork and underside of the dash. Not at home now or I could post the TSB #.
Well I'll be damned:) Issues like these are usually just a quirk of the car. Any info you could post when you get home would be helpful. I usually try to take care of things like this myself cuz I don't trust dealers to actually do anything to fix squeaks/rattles:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackmax said:
Hey,
I would love to have the TSB info. If you could send it as soon as you can then I can drop the B9 at the dealer and get it done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Hey,
I would love to have the TSB info. If you could send it as soon as you can then I can drop the B9 at the dealer and get it done.

Thanks!
I have this same issue and posted a thread about it on NASIOC awhile ago (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445593). Basically, it is a tapping crackling sound with a hint of a squeek to it that almost sounds like one of those Geiger counters you see in movies to measure radiation levels. The sound seems to eminate from the back of the dash where it meets the windshield and is off-centered slightly right of the Nav screen's location. Conditions seem to vary when it occurs but A/C being on MAY be a factor, even if on low.

Anyway, the responses I got were all over the place, but it seemed to end up with there being a service bulletin out for it, and it somehow involving pressure in the A/C or something to that nature. I've had my '06 at the dealership for this 3 or 4 times now, have had the entire dash out several times now, and every time I go to pick it up, they swear they have figured it out only to have it reemerge later. I brought the dealerships Master Tech with me for a ride and he heard it himself yet he STILL couldn't fix it. Needless to say, I am a bit pissed off about it. :mad:

If someone could please post the bulletin info, it'd be great!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HB_Dad said:
I have this same issue and posted a thread about it on NASIOC awhile ago (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445593). Basically, it is a tapping crackling sound with a hint of a squeek to it that almost sounds like one of those Geiger counters you see in movies to measure radiation levels. The sound seems to eminate from the back of the dash where it meets the windshield and is off-centered slightly right of the Nav screen's location. Conditions seem to vary when it occurs but A/C being on MAY be a factor, even if on low.

Anyway, the responses I got were all over the place, but it seemed to end up with there being a service bulletin out for it, and it somehow involving pressure in the A/C or something to that nature. I've had my '06 at the dealership for this 3 or 4 times now, have had the entire dash out several times now, and every time I go to pick it up, they swear they have figured it out only to have it reemerge later. I brought the dealerships Master Tech with me for a ride and he heard it himself yet he STILL couldn't fix it. Needless to say, I am a bit pissed off about it. :mad:

If someone could please post the bulletin info, it'd be great!!
Thanks for the link. Some interesting stories there. I'm looking fwd to getting this fixed.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blackmax said:
Can you post up the TSB#?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ever use STIS?

Magic Marker said:
Can you post up the TSB#?
I get the same thing on my 07'... everyone thinks im crazy..! They thought the sway clunk was normal too.. Straight 'Tards they are!

Do not forget you still can use the 'STIS' system to find 99% of service/warranty bullets.. If you never have been there.. you find that it might be tough to fork out some $$ for a few days time of use.. However, it might satisfy the itch of wanting to know just as much as the guy behind the counter.. (who laughs in his head while you try to describe your TRIBECA issues).

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchKwBu.jsp?model_year=2006&vehicle_line=B9+Tribeca&publication_type=16&text_keyword=&keyword=&bulletin=3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody have TSB# for this problem?? I have a 2008 Tribeca that has the same issues and I would like to get it fixed.. Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is the plastic of the dash bumping the windshield. I just crammed some fabric between the upper dash and the windshield. On the right side. push it in tight and deep as to not let it be seen. A dense foam material would be great. Like memory foam. Easy money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts