Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 Tribeca
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am having an issue with my cooling system that maybe someone can help me with?
First a little back story. I purchased the B9 a couple years ago with a bad engine for $1000.00, a deal I could not pas up on. Had a head gasket leak on cylinder 3, very evident as it started blowing white smoke 2 minutes after running.

Replaced the engine with a low mileage scrapyard one. Came out of anOutback with 110k that was wrecked in the rear end.

Now if I run the car it starts to overheat about 15 minutes idling. If I remove the thermostat it runs fine but no heat. Thermostat is new OEM.
There is absolutely no symptoms of a faulty head gasket with this engine at all. No smoke, no milky oil, no external leaks and runs beautifully. The only thing that I did notice is I have to add about a pint of coolant after running it for a couple weeks.
This is really starting to baffle me and I need to get this fixed soon as the cold days are creeping up quick.:unsure:

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
1) most probably you have issues with cabin heater - clogged pipes, clogged heater - clean, replace,etc...
2) since I am not auto tech - I would start with reading Factory Service Manual... they have pretty good explanations for what is there, how it should work and how to troubleshoot..........
p.s. when you removed termostat - did you look at waterpump propeller? is it intact, is it halfway gone...?
p.p.s. what does your temp gauge show...

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca
210 Posts
The new thermostat could be bad. I would check it in a pan of water on the stove to make sure it is opening.

There is an o-ring on the throttle body that causes overheating at idle. Might replace it just for grins. Never have seen an explanation as to why it causes overheating.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
may be it's absence allows unmeasure air to enter >> making air-fuel mixture lean >> combustion and exhaust temps go up...
I assume you are talking
16175AA310
?

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
821 Posts
Hi there. I am having an issue with my cooling system that maybe someone can help me with?
First a little back story. I purchased the B9 a couple years ago with a bad engine for $1000.00, a deal I could not pas up on. Had a head gasket leak on cylinder 3, very evident as it started blowing white smoke 2 minutes after running.

Replaced the engine with a low mileage scrapyard one. Came out of anOutback with 110k that was wrecked in the rear end.

Now if I run the car it starts to overheat about 15 minutes idling. If I remove the thermostat it runs fine but no heat. Thermostat is new OEM.
There is absolutely no symptoms of a faulty head gasket with this engine at all. No smoke, no milky oil, no external leaks and runs beautifully. The only thing that I did notice is I have to add about a pint of coolant after running it for a couple weeks.
This is really starting to baffle me and I need to get this fixed soon as the cold days are creeping up quick.:unsure:
Any bubbles in the overflow with it running before it overheats?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts