Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just became a happy owner of a 2011 Tribeca Limited, and of course it's a 7-passenger model :)

I don't foresee that the 3rd row is going to be very beneficial for us so, I would prefer to convert our 7 passenger Tribeca into 5 passenger Tribeca and use the freed up cargo space for all kinds of utilities (would like to have the ability to convert it back to 7 pass though).

Has anyone ever attempted to do this kind of conversion?
Only response I got from the dealerships is that 7 pass Tribeca is not designed for this kind of conversion. But there nothing impossible, right?

All thoughts are highly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I'd like to do just the opposite...

Hmmm... interesting. We bought the 5 passenger 'cause it was the last on the lot, got a great deal, didn't think we would want 7 passenger, etc. Now, there have been several occasions where we wish we had it. I wonder if we could work something out. I know you said you would want to be able to convert it back, but peraps you would you be willing to sell what you take out? What color is your interior? Hmmm....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mkscott2 said:
Hmmm... interesting. We bought the 5 passenger 'cause it was the last on the lot, got a great deal, didn't think we would want 7 passenger, etc. Now, there have been several occasions where we wish we had it. I wonder if we could work something out. I know you said you would want to be able to convert it back, but peraps you would you be willing to sell what you take out? What color is your interior? Hmmm....
I don't think you can convert 5 pass to to 7 pass car by just putting in extra seats. Think about seatbelts for your own safety and at least for passing the safety inspection. In Tribeca the 3rd row seatbelts are mounted in the cargo area interior.

The interior in out Tribeca is beige, but the cargo area and all lower area in the interior is gray/black - they started building them this way in 2011. Hope this helps.

But, yes I'd like to keep the seats though... I might need them one day,.. or two... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JDT2006 said:
I just put mine down. Frees up room, doesn't hurt your resale value
Do you have any directions on how to remove the 3rd row?
Did you just leave that area as is or did you put in a storage organizer?

I wonder if it's possible to get that storage box part that is installed on 5 pass Tribeca behind the 2nd row...
 

·
Registered
2011 limited
Joined
·
46 Posts
newby here. trying to find out if the 5 seater can be converted to a 7 seater. doesn't look like there's an answer to that yet?
found a 5 seater limit w/nav.
not sure if you would get it if you were me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's nice to have 3rd row as an option. Put it in when you need take more passengers, take it out when you need more storage space.

Even when you consider putting your stuff on top of the roof rails, extra storage space inside could be very beneficial. Look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee or VW Taoureg - they don't have 3rd row, and there is no need for it in an SUV with offroad-like image.

I think permanent 3rd row in Subaru Tribeca is a complete failure of Subaru's marketing.

The 3rd row in Tribeca may be comfy for children, but not good for teenagers or adults. And, I, as a responsible driver, would not put any children into a cage in the trunk which the 3rd row basically is in Tribeca. It may only be ok for short distance commute in my opinion.

If you got into a rear impact accident with your 3rd row loaded - you would regret about how careless you were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
olegtbk said:
I think it's nice to have 3rd row as an option. Put it in when you need take more passengers, take it out when you need more storage space.

Even when you consider putting your stuff on top of the roof rails, extra storage space inside could be very beneficial. Look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee or VW Taoureg - they don't have 3rd row, and there is no need for it in an SUV with offroad-like image.

I think permanent 3rd row in Subaru Tribeca is a complete failure of Subaru's marketing.

The 3rd row in Tribeca may be comfy for children, but not good for teenagers or adults. And, I, as a responsible driver, would not put any children into a cage in the trunk which the 3rd row basically is in Tribeca. It may only be ok for short distance commute in my opinion.

If you got into a rear impact accident with your 3rd row loaded - you would regret about how careless you were.
Agree with you in safety here, concerning the third row.

Can you clarify for me, though, why you need to take out the third row to use the cargo space? Folding it down yields the same space as a 5 seater, doesnt it? Besides the cargo tray under the cargo area, I dont see a difference, unless they changed something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
njjuliano said:
Can you clarify for me, though, why you need to take out the third row to use the cargo space? Folding it down yields the same space as a 5 seater, doesnt it? Besides the cargo tray under the cargo area, I dont see a difference, unless they changed something?
I'd like to have another larger cargo tray in where the 3rd row is. I'd use it to keep some essential and emergency tools there.
In a 7pass, the cargo tray under the cargo fits the wheel replacement tools and it has two tiny bins that provide storage space of about tree average size printed books (i'm not keeping books in there :) it's just for comparison).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
olegtbk said:
If you got into a rear impact accident with your 3rd row loaded - you would regret about how careless you were.
Do not be so sure!
I had a big accident with my '08 Tribeca, with several front hits, last of which was on a wall, and I bounced back a couple of meter (just to give an idea about the violence of impact), and resulting damage level was surprising light: engine was not touched at all.
If the back is as much robust as the front, I think we haven't anything to be afraid about leave our children in the third rows, since an impact hard enough to cause damages to the third rows, probably would have bad consequences to all passengers...

Mickey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MicBert said:
Do not be so sure!
I had a big accident with my '08 Tribeca, with several front hits, last of which was on a wall, and I bounced back a couple of meter (just to give an idea about the violence of impact), and resulting damage level was surprising light: engine was not touched at all.
If the back is as much robust as the front, I think we haven't anything to be afraid about leave our children in the third rows, since an impact hard enough to cause damages to the third rows, probably would have bad consequences to all passengers...

Mickey
I hope it all turned the best way for you. After all Subaru's monoframe in Tribeca is a tough thing.

As far as I know, in all cars front has the most advanced safety features designed to absorb impact from the front. I would not compare safety features of front and back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
rear cargo tray available

Hey olegtbk,

Turns out that I now have what you need for the 3rd row delete. It is a VERY easy conversion, and easily reversed if you choose to do so. Here are the steps:

1. pull up on the seat bottom from the front, and remove
2. remove bolts that are holding the seat-back brackets in place
3. remove seat-backs from vehicle.
4. install two small retaining brackets for cargo tray
5. install cargo tray to retaining brackets with two bolts
6. place cargo cover panel over tray

Since you are thinking about having the option to go back to the original setup, I would obviously leave the seatbelts in. They're a pain to remove and install, and they don't get in the way of anything anyway.

So if you would like, I have all of the parts you need:
1. cargo tray
2. brackets
3. bolts
4. plastic covers/inserts
5. cargo cover/floor

The carpeting on the tray and cover are beige. Let me know if you would like them, and we can arrange the details (cost and shipping).

mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Considering that no one came back to reply on their failure or success, anyone have an actual insight and firsthand experience whether it's possible to convert the 5 to a 7 seater?
 

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
Joined
·
370 Posts
to what degree - functional or "like from factory"?
functional - seats, belts and rear "box" for tools in floor of rear end.
from factory - air ducts, may be entertainment options...
 

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
Joined
·
370 Posts
well... then get to work. go through parts catalogue. compare 5seaters with 7seaters and compile a list of each and every part you need to replace :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top