Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a command/auto start installed on their 'Beca? Wondering if anyone has any opinions on brands, performance, pricing, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you talking about "remote starters"? If so, Subaru makes an OEM one for the 07+. Common concensus is that they run about $400 installed by the dealer. The kit alone is about $250, but even if you do the install yourself, you still have to have the dealer do the final programming for it to work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Snork... have you (or anyone else) heard if the OEM one is better or worse than some of the aftermarket products out there, or if there are potential problems with functionality with something bought and installed at, say, Best Buy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well the OEM one will be nicely integrated with wire harnesses/etc., not spliced in like you would have to do aftermarket.

That being said, there are definitely better aftermarket remote starters. You can get aftermarket ones with better range (1000' vs. 100-200'), two-way ones to monitor alarms/status, lots of options. Another minus (for me at least) is that the OEM alarm starter is a separate fob, it doesn't integrate with the existing keyless remote entry fob. So that means 2 fobs on the keychain in my pocket (bulky). An aftermarket one you can program it all to be on 1 fob.

As for BB, that's a YMMV situation. Some BB have good installers, some are crap...I'd be more inclined to find a local reputable car audio shop.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a buddy install a 2-way Viper alarm and remote start in our 'beca (actually all of our cars). Range is good and if I didn't tell you it was there you wouldn't notice it, that's how good his work is.

IMO for the same price you are better of with a good aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
OEM range is pretty good. I have been able to start the car through walls, with distance. I'm very impressed with it, and do not view it as OEM standard in performance.

It is pricier than comparable starters.

Subaru installs not just the "OEM" starters, but also aftermarket ones. I dont remember which specifically, which indicates to me that its the install that makes them OEM, and not necessarily the part.

You can get a much more advanced, longer range, 2 way starters for 2/3 of the price, as mentioned above. Wiring has been noted to be challenging when going aftermarket, and can be used to deny some warranty in the future.

Main reason I went OEM is cause I have Subaru bucks. Do not regret the purchase at all.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We have the OEM remote starter on our 07 B9. Works just fine. I've had experience with aftermarket starters on all of our previous cars. IMO the main benefit of OEM vs. aftermarket is that an OEM system you don't have to hide one of your valet keys in the car in order to make it start.

We had both of our Subies (B9 & Impreza) get the starter installed at purchase. So we got the labor free, the unit at cost and it's covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Here's a tip to get better range on any remote starter or alarm. Hold the transmitter to your head. Your head acts like an antenna booster so you get more range. BTW, the OEM starter has acceptable range vs. all of my previous remote starters. I wouldn't worry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts