Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a lot of snow in MA this year and I was driving my wife's B9 for a last two months, did not want to beat my SRT in the snow.

Unfortunately, my impression is terrible, this car is just a slow brick. Drivetrain is just terrible! Engine has a very little torque, and revving over 5000 rpm just adds unpleasant noise, nothing happens (I know max torque is at 4.2K, can't believe this car revs to 7k, what for??)! Transmission is the worst I have experienced in a while. So called "sport" mode just keeps revs longer, mapping is not changed at all.

Bottom line is this car badly needs some reprogramming of the engine and transmission. Does anyone on the forums did it? I would go for the ECU flash or even better a programmer (e.g. diablo), maybe with dyno tuning.
Cold air intake or exhaust will not help much here, this car needs some major engine+trans re-mapping. Supercharger is out of question, after all it is just tall wagon and not worth to invest too much in it.

Please help! Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Marek

·
Registered
37 Posts
Marek, you were probably driving the B9 because it has the best AWD system in the world and didnt want to put your SRT in a ditch.

Unfortunaetly, I have to agree with you on some of your points. I would not say its a slow brick in terms of what your driving. Its numbers are similar if not better than some in its class. You are not going to get the performance of an SRT out of it, but you will get alot tighter more luxurious ride. I do agree also the engine revs crazy to make power and shifts are all over the place. I would be interested in a programmer to get it tuned better. Most factory tunes that Ive seen are horrible. I have seen significant performance gains with little to no bolt ons straight from a re-map.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, AWD system in this car is fabulous. Just the right distribution, makes the car pleasantly oversteering, a lot of fun doing 4 wheel drifts in the snow (as much as ESP allows, as you can not fully disengage it, as you know).
I talked to Subaru dealers, and was surprised that considering sporty image of other products, there is absolutely nothing for tribeca (is this engine/transmission used only in tribeca?). And, as you mentioned for $200-300 for programmer and few bucks for the dyno time you can have absolutely different car.
I do not want to make this a sports car, just add some low end torque and switching off or diminishing torque converter action in the tranny (especially between 2 and 3k rpm). I think just playing with fuel injection maps and retardation could improve this engine response big time.

Marek

·
Registered
53 Posts
marek said:
I agree, AWD system in this car is fabulous. Just the right distribution, makes the car pleasantly oversteering, a lot of fun doing 4 wheel drifts in the snow (as much as ESP allows, as you can not fully disengage it, as you know).
I talked to Subaru dealers, and was surprised that considering sporty image of other products, there is absolutely nothing for tribeca (is this engine/transmission used only in tribeca?). And, as you mentioned for $200-300 for programmer and few bucks for the dyno time you can have absolutely different car.
I do not want to make this a sports car, just add some low end torque and switching off or diminishing torque converter action in the tranny (especially between 2 and 3k rpm). I think just playing with fuel injection maps and retardation could improve this engine response big time.

Marek
I'm going to compare the new 08-09's to my o6 i understand they fixed a ot of these issues with the 07-09's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If they did improve the new models, how did they do it?
Probably in the ecu. If so someone should offer a service to reflash the older models or a programmer so we can do it ourselves. I also think the way the flat 6 makes power is very different than most other engines and could be the main problem as well as the weight of the Beca. It just doesnt make alot of low end torque.

·
Registered
124 Posts
WAKIZA said:
If they did improve the new models, how did they do it?
Probably in the ecu.
Its a totally different engine for 1 thing. 3.6 liter vs 3.0 liter.
They also remapped the transmission.

Go to a dealer and take an 08 or 09 for a test drive. After I drove one, I couldn't go buy an 07 even I like the old look better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to do more research on the new models. I didnt know they raised the displacement to a 3.6 liter. I never got past the Chrystler minivan frontend. I do like the design of the rear on the new models.

I still think there is room for improvement on the 6.0 liter with some programming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks Subaru was well aware of the old tribeca deficiencies. New package address all the issue which old engine/transmission.

"The larger engine displacement increases engine torque to 247 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm, and horsepower to 256 at 6,000 rpm, providing improved low-end torque without sacrificing high-rpm power. "
"The new 3.6-litre engine is connected to a 5-speed automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT that features an all-new torque lock-up converter and a new transmission control unit. The result is faster gearshifts with less lag time and smoother, more linear acceleration."

I agree that old unit could be greatly enhanced with the proper tuning. Just where to get it?

Marek

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a buddy that tunes various subarus using opensource. He tried my '07, but the software wasn't updated enough. '06 would have been fine (he has tuned a couple of other 'beca's, mostly for fuel savings. He's going to let me know when the '07 is supported.

As for getting more power, only real ways to do it is a custom exhaust (stock is very restrictive) and an intake, then a reflash.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Probably your best bet at finding a local shop/tuner is to venture over to www.nasioc.com and search for a local tuner.

I am in NY, north of nyc and my tuner connections are either dave brown at metric subaru, or a member named "badkulo" in the tri-state area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
openecu.org lists 06-09 Tribecas among supported vehicles. 07-09 support requires latest version of software which is 2.0.

Here is link http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash:VehicleSupport

I have never heard about tranny reflash made on 06 or 07 which is unfortunate because there is SOOO much room for improvement. I might ask guys at the dealer whether it is possible or not to flash 07 tranny with 08 brains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be a great news if it is possible to flash 06-07 with 08 program!

Please let us know.

Marek

·
Registered
56 Posts
marek said:
It would be a great news if it is possible to flash 06-07 with 08 program!

Please let us know.

Marek
Since the 08-09 has a different engine, I would venture to say that flashing that program into a 06-07 would not be a real good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts