Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
343 Posts
yep, ~25bucks a piece (my left one is less bad, but I am playing of idea upgrade to 326mm brake rotors...)

that is not big concearn, but brake rotor looks a bit rough... so... check pads and rotors for thicknesses and overall health (good time to check guide pins and pistons in caliper too).
p.s. good news - your cv boots are good!

·
Registered
2008 Tribeca
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
yep, ~25bucks a piece (my left one is less bad, but I am playing of idea upgrade to 326mm brake rotors...)

that is not big concearn, but brake rotor looks a bit rough... so... check pads and rotors for thicknesses and overall health (good time to check guide pins and pistons in caliper too).
Boo ya, well at least something is good haha. To be fair, the person i bought it off said the rear brakes had just been done but the front may need work although it passed safety. Guess I will learn to take the breaks apart this weekend. Maybe just bite bullet and do all new front rotors and pads

Found some rotors for $58 a piece, is this a good price? (know nothing of parts prices)

Font Rectangle Automotive parking light Screenshot Automotive lighting

also like $40 for pads, this all seems so cheap.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2008 Tribeca
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Boo ya, well at least something is good haha. To be fair, the person i bought it off said the rear brakes had just been done but the front may need work although it passed safety. Guess I will learn to take the breaks apart this weekend. Maybe just bite bullet and do all new front rotors and pads

Found some rotors for $58 a piece, is this a good price? (know nothing of parts prices)

View attachment 2624

also like $40 for pads, this all seems so cheap.

View attachment 2625

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
depends on your driving and requirements.
it's like tires. some people go for cheapest options, some go for best they can afford. considering that your (and your loved ones) life is being hold on road with these 4 palm-size patches of rubber... plus - I like to drive... ummm... not like seniors...
I don't know your situation, but I would try to avoid these items, for sure. I haven't heard those brands at all (top quality - as a brand name? :DDDDDDDD
if you like - I can help with getting something a bit serious - for that I would have to know your budget restrictions, how good you wanna go and which suppliers(stores/websites) are good for you?
or if you are interested in upgrading front brakes.... that's another BIG can of worms :DDDDDD

brake replacement is easy-peasy. if you have basic wrenches, sockets, breaker bar and hydraulic jack - I wouldn't worry much (at least about rotors and pads). there are things to keep in mind (guide pins and piston sealings), but nothing mind blowing. there is possibility that you would end up attending workshop anyways(like me - I fucked up my Tribeca on Monday, today she's in workshop and guys informed me that more stuff needs to be done - so... yippppyyyyyyy! new research, new adventures :DDD

·
Registered
2008 Tribeca
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
depends on your driving and requirements.
it's like tires. some people go for cheapest options, some go for best they can afford. considering that your (and your loved ones) life is being hold on road with these 4 palm-size patches of rubber... plus - I like to drive... ummm... not like seniors...
I don't know your situation, but I would try to avoid these items, for sure. I haven't heard those brands at all (top quality - as a brand name? :DDDDDDDD
if you like - I can help with getting something a bit serious - for that I would have to know your budget restrictions, how good you wanna go and which suppliers(stores/websites) are good for you?
or if you are interested in upgrading front brakes.... that's another BIG can of worms :DDDDDD

brake replacement is easy-peasy. if you have basic wrenches, sockets, breaker bar and hydraulic jack - I wouldn't worry much (at least about rotors and pads). there are things to keep in mind (guide pins and piston sealings), but nothing mind blowing. there is possibility that you would end up attending workshop anyways(like me - I fucked up my Tribeca on Monday, today she's in workshop and guys informed me that more stuff needs to be done - so... yippppyyyyyyy! new research, new adventures :DDD
I would like to keep it under $400 (canadian) if possible. Costs are quickly adding up lol. But I guess you get what you pay for and I shouldn't cheap out like you said.

I prefer buying from a website or store thats canadian based because shipping is killer from the states most of the time, only problem is theres a limited selection online here.

I will have to look into guide pins and piston sealings as I am not sure about those, I've watched enough videos on how to change pads and rotors so I am confident with that aspect of it though.

Hopefully your stuff that needs done isn't too much$$ :p

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
you didn't specify your driving style/preferences - so... what I look at is a bit different, probably, but, anyways, here you go - but CHECK again, from multiple sources, that these parts are fit to your vehicle:
1) pads - I would go one of these. Ceramic pads. Nothing funky. I would not choose metallic whatever - they will be more aggressive to rotors.

2) rotors - I would suggest to use those with grooves(slotted), but not "drilled", "perforated" (but looks like their pricing is pretty high, compared to plain rotors)
Front Disc Brake Rotor - JBR1319EVC by POWER STOP on PartsAvatar.ca (1st choice - because it has (in theory) some kind of rust protection)
Front Disc Brake Rotor - 980377R by RAYBESTOS on PartsAvatar.ca (2nd choice - money wise good offer)

here is some tech info on sizes and "what fits from other models" - Compiled brake information - NASIOC

overall it looks that it should be around 350-ish CAD. (I don't know what's with guide pins and seals, of course).

3) pins and piston sealing - you can check(pad wear, seized pins or not, brake fluid leaks and visual on those seals) and if anything is wrong - just put it back and send it to workshop to deal with it :D.

·
Registered
95 Posts
so back to the question from march 29th, how important are the brake dust shields, and how difficult are rotted ones to replace, just a couple bolts at any time, or does the wheel, and whole brake assembly have to come off to change them, and how much should be spent on them?

·
V6er Version 2
343 Posts
price at dealership is from 25 to, probably, 40.
replacing - wheel off, three little screws, but there might be issues when trying to unscrew them (risk of braking them and then you will need to drill them out etc).

how important is anything in a car? some people are fine driving 10yr old and cracked tires... some are not.
those shields mainly protect rubber (cv boot and ball joint) in suspension from brake heat (as far as I know) - so... check how much is axle and replacing it. also ball joint (most probably it's fixture screw will have to be drilled out...).

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
so back to the question from march 29th, how important are the brake dust shields, and how difficult are rotted ones to replace, just a couple bolts at any time, or does the wheel, and whole brake assembly have to come off to change them, and how much should be spent on them?
In certain communities, folks would remove them for weight savings collectively along with other parts. YMMV.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
Reactions: Flat6er
21 - 32 of 32 Posts