·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day one:rough idle/on the higher side. Just above the 1
Day two: rough idle/with a hesitation to start
Night of day two started up just fin.
Day, three wouldn't start.
Checked the battery had 12v. Jumped the battery. Changed the battery since it is prob older(unknown since I bought the car recently)
Car wants to turn over however just doesn't want to.
Day four: Almost started but just would kick over
I can hear the fuel pump turn on but still nothing.
This morning was a little better than day 2-3 and it really wanted to fire up but just didn't quite get there.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Check the ground cable and clean other end and verify good connection. Maybe change battery ground and clean all grounds.

Oh, you have gas in the tank, right :)

Verify serp pulley is good. Might not be turning freely causing alternator to not charge. Have you had the alternator changed? Hopefully not, the originally one almost never fails. If you do change it, aftermarkets are know issues. Better to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check the ground cable and clean other end and verify good connection. Maybe change battery ground and clean all grounds.

Oh, you have gas in the tank, right :)

Verify serp pulley is good. Might not be turning freely causing alternator to not charge. Have you had the alternator changed? Hopefully not, the originally one almost never fails. If you do change it, aftermarkets are know issues. Better to be rebuilt.
The ground was messed up this I know. The body ground I think it is called. It is on the passenger side near radiator. The one on the other side may of came loose as well. I will tell the mechanics to check that one as well. Which one do you think it could be that would give the most trouble or do both essentially do the same thing? They were green pretty fat grounds and the last time I had it up in the air is was shredding. I left the bottom cover off for a few days because I was looking for a coolant leak.

Yes there was definitely gas in there.
Hopefully they will find out what the issue is tomorrow. But I will definitely inform them of the ground wires. I bought two new ones from Amazon but never was able to get them on. The alternator looks old and beat up but probably still chugging.
And of course my luck I got a real shysty , probably drunk or hungover, tow delivery guy that pulled the car too far back on the bed causing damage to the rear bumper :/ UGH!
Thx for the tips! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
The ground was messed up this I know. The body ground I think it is called. It is on the passenger side near radiator. The one on the other side may of came loose as well. I will tell the mechanics to check that one as well. Which one do you think it could be that would give the most trouble or do both essentially do the same thing? They were green pretty fat grounds and the last time I had it up in the air is was shredding. I left the bottom cover off for a few days because I was looking for a coolant leak.

Yes there was definitely gas in there.
Hopefully they will find out what the issue is tomorrow. But I will definitely inform them of the ground wires. I bought two new ones from Amazon but never was able to get them on. The alternator looks old and beat up but probably still chugging.
And of course my luck I got a real shysty , probably drunk or hungover, tow delivery guy that pulled the car too far back on the bed causing damage to the rear bumper :/ UGH!
Thx for the tips! :)
When you say "bed", I hope you mean flatbed and that all 4 tires were off the ground. Is this your only vehicle? It sounds like you need a beater car so that you can take the time on this vehicle, just my opinion. A good beater car would cost you less than a few visits at the mechanic.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What possibilities have you already eliminated without a doubt? Because the list of stuff that could keep a car from starting is pretty long...verified fuel pressure at the rail not just fuel pump function? Verified spark? Verified injector pulse?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, do you yourself a favor and get a code reader if you don't have one already. An ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter or some simple code reader is something good for your toolbox.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, do you yourself a favor and get a code reader if you don't have one already. An ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter or some simple code reader is something good for your toolbox.
I have one. It didn't read any codes. That is why I took it to a mechanic. That and it is too cold outside to work on it. lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What possibilities have you already eliminated without a doubt? Because the list of stuff that could keep a car from starting is pretty long...verified fuel pressure at the rail not just fuel pump function? Verified spark? Verified injector pulse?
Fuel pump could be heard and it isn't the battery. Mechanic said there was fuel on the plugs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks like I knocked a hose off going into the air flow sensor while fumbling with the coolnt bleeder valve. oops

Update
CAR STILL WOULDNT START when I got there. Cause was a blown headgasket fouling the plugs. Replaced the engine with JDM. All seems better.
Next up: Heater Core

1 - 9 of 9 Posts