Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
‘06 B9 Tribeca
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

It was a bit of a bonehead when I bought my brand new Tribeca in 2007. I was quite faithful about getting the oil changed on time. However, never stuck with the maintenance schedule on anything else. I have paid the price over the years for sure but it is a fantastic car in my opinion.

I have a question though. I wanted to get my transmission fluid replaced and several places I had brought the car including the dealer says that they will not change the transmission fluid on a car that is 15 yrs old and has never had the tranny serviced. It has 167000 miles on it, and never had the fluid changed before. I know; stupid me! Have any of you heard of this before? Am I really opening a can of worms by wanting to change the transmission fluid in an old transmission that is not had it replaced before? The repair shops are telling me to keep it full and let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca
210 Posts
I kind of think that is an old wives tale and I have seen others that think the same way. The trouble is you will need to change it about 3 times in order to get the majority of the fluid out as you only drain about a third of the capacity each time and then there is still a mix of old and new, but the percentage of new will be much greater after 3 changes.

·
Registered
‘06 B9 Tribeca
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: I contacted the dealer near me in Daytona FL and they said no problem! I guess one needs to ask the right folks.

Back story: The car is already at the dealer, getting cam gear/oil check valve work, as well as new head gaskets. Major stuff. I figure - might as well have the tranny service done. What’s another $300 on top of $5000! LOL. Yes. Spending lots of money, but it’s a great car, and I can’t replace it for that amount.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
1) well... depending on fluid changing methods. there are machines which get connected instead of cooling circuit and they can change fluid at once.
2) change filters too. it is pretty unclear what gen tribeca you have - prefacelift or facelift. (that will show diffferences in adaptation procedures, filter designs etc).
3) be ready that you might need to use thickener on fluid (if the damage has been done).

·
Registered
‘06 B9 Tribeca
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how are things going with the car?
Thank you for asking.

Car is still at Subaru of Daytona waiting on all the motor parts to come in.
Service planner said yes they will do the tranny service before I get it back.

Having lots of stuff done to it right now. I’m not expecting to have it back until next week.
After all the cash I’m pouring into her, I hope she runs for a long time after.

— Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts