Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody towed a camper in their Tribeca? I am towing a pop up with electric brakes and need 7 pin wiring. The dealer doesn't seem to know much about it. Also, it was recommended that I use an anti-sway bar? Not sure if the Tribeca can use an anti-sway bar. Any help woul dbe appreciated.

Thanks,

2008 tribeca

·
449 Posts
The Tribeca has anti swaybars on the suspension. Unless this is something specific to towing a trailer (I don't know much about towing) but if you don't have the OEM trailer hitch / Trans cooler optoin it's a good idea to get a tranny cooler. This is my OEM install page:

http://www.scoobymods.com/oem_tranny_cooler_install-t6993.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know the tow rating is for a 09? We are looking for a pop up camper, but dont want to get something too heavy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Towing

The manual states 2000 lbs unless the vehicle is equipped with the auxillary transmission oil cooler. If it has the cooler (visible in the lower front grille/bumper opening as a small (est. 5" by about 24") radiator in front of the actual radiator) then the Tribeca can tow 3500 lbs. I tow a Jayco pop-up that measures 12' when closed and weighs about 2000 lbs empty, the Tribeca handles it great and I often forget it's back there. I had an 06 with an aftermarket 2" hitch that I didn't have the trans cooler for that I towed with well over a dozen times before our lease was up. Never had a problem, techs didn't say anything when I had my 30k service done. Now I've got an 08 with the factory hitch and trans cooler. Went on our first trip and I like the extra power and revised tuning of the trans for 08, we towed our trailer about 300 miles for a great getaway. I had the trailer hitch place hook up the 7 pin plug adapter on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! We are looking at getting a jayco also that is around that weight. I dont have the trans cooler yet, but will be getting it if we decide to get the popup. Do you have electric brakes for your camper?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ummmm??

I have the seven pin plug adapter and I think I see brakes and the wiring for them under the trailer, but I don't actually feel them working. I just hook and go! Might have to dig out the trailer manual and read.:lol: We bought our trailer in 95 from friends who bought it brand new and only used it a couple times then were re-stationed elsewhere(they were military). Got it for a great deal already loaded with everything one could need; dished silverware, sheets, blankets, fishing poles the whole ball of wax. Needless I never got a proper delivery or walk-around, kinda had to figure everything out on my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sway bars go on a Class III hitch. They connect to the hitch and then to the trailer's tongue. They have chains on them so you can adjust the level of the trailer and make sure it is level with the car/truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bars with chains are weight distribution hitch. That is used to transfer the tongue weight of the trailer to the front of the vehicle (raising the rear and pushing to lower the front):

You need a class III hitch (with a 2'' bar) to install a WDH.

Sway control bar is to prevent the trailer to sway from left to right when passing a truck for example (where you can have turbulence):

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-SC~83660.htm

The sway bay is installed on the vehicle's hitck with a 1 inch ball. The other end is attached to the trailer pole with a 1inch ball as well.

I tow a 10' pop-up camper with my MY07 Outback 2.5i and I do not have a sway bar and it is very stable. Trailer weighs about 2400 pounds when loaded and it pulls pretty good. I'd like some more torque from the engine, but it handles it ok. I 'm looking at changing my car to buy a Tribeca maybe to pull a 18' travel trailer. I saw a Tribeca on our last camping trip that was pulling a 23' travel trailer and that looked not too heavy. I'm pretty sure though, the trailer weight was exceeding 3500 pounds. I'm also looking at the new Toyota Highlander to replace my Outback. The Highlander tow rating is 5000 pounds (which is 1500 more pounds than the Tribeca), but the engine is similar to the Tribeca: 3.5L V6, about 270HP and 250pound-feet of torque.

Here is my setup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
^ My bad. Your are completely correct on the diff between sway and WDH.

I use a WDH on my F150 pulling a 17' Palamino Stampede hybrid.

I'm guess the WDH would help to reduce the issues with the Tribeca's lower max hitch weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In regards to the Highlander, do some research on how Toyota calculates it's tow rating.

Subaru is one of the few that does NOT make you reduce your maximum towable weight to account for any payload -- passenger, fuel, luggage, etc.

For a Subaru, 3,500# means 3,500#.

This can make a huge difference. Take a Ford Flex for example. It has a 4,500# max. tow rating, but if you were to have the Flex fully loaded, you would be closer to a 3,000# tow rating.

I'm honestly not aware of any other manufacturers who figure tow rating the same way that Subaru does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
kalins1 said:
In regards to the Highlander, do some research on how Toyota calculates it's tow rating.

Subaru is one of the few that does NOT make you reduce your maximum towable weight to account for any payload -- passenger, fuel, luggage, etc.

For a Subaru, 3,500# means 3,500#.

This can make a huge difference. Take a Ford Flex for example. It has a 4,500# max. tow rating, but if you were to have the Flex fully loaded, you would be closer to a 3,000# tow rating.

I'm honestly not aware of any other manufacturers who figure tow rating the same way that Subaru does.
Interesting... I did not know that. That means I should be ''more ok'' than I thought, with a 3500# trailer then (which you ad 500-600# of stock in it). It would still be a little over the tow rating, but it may not be that bad. I often see Dodge Caravans with 25 footer that doesn't look too bad when pulling... My SUbaru dealer told me there is no problem with that kind of weight (which I does not disagree completely), but the only thing they want is to sell me another car...

·
Registered
837 Posts
All tow ratings are figured the same way, using the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, I am not aware of Subaru being any different. This is the maximum load rating that includes the vehicle, everything in it, and anything it is pulling. It should never be exceeded for safety and warranty reasons.

I don't know where you got Subaru's towing capacity being any different but it is not, check the owner's Manual. 3500lbs means 3500lbs if and only if you aren't exceeding the GVWR.

Using a WDH to pull a heavier load is extremely bad practice, you are still overloading the vehicle no matter how many tires you spread the load across. Using one to simply add control and balance is a different story, although I would be inclined to say a unibody was never meant to have a WDH used on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Camper Hitch

I have similar questions re towing, but my main one now is that I don't know what the hitch number is. I have the tow package that was installed on my '08 Tribeca so I know I have the coolant, but I don't know if it is a Class I, II or III hitch. I think I need a II or III for the trailer I am buying. I will also need electric brakes unless they would have been installed with the package. What should I look for ? Thank you.
Carol

·
Registered
837 Posts
The factory hitch appears to be a class I, it is however rated for 3500 lbs with the auxilary cooler and brakes on the trailer. You will need a brake controller installed and the appropriate connector for the trailer you are towing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the factory hitch is a class 2 (II). Anti-sway bars cannot be used with class II hitches.

we have been towing a 2000lb tent trailer with electric brakes for three years with our '08 and have had no problems.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Anti sway bars can be used with any class hitch, a weight distributing hitch cannot be used for a class 2 or 1 hitch, and probably should be avoided on a unibody anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too just installed a Class III hitch on my car so that I could tow the 2100 lb. trailer with a bit more confidence. I have the tow package and the brake controller etc., but I just did not want to tow with the smaller hitch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts