Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a cabin air filter replacement on my 07. Subaru installation instructions appear to have several unnecessary steps. I found that one does not need to remove the console RH cover nor the lower tray to remove the glovebox. Here is my list of steps for next time:

1) Remove dashbord right-hand cover.
2) unhook the glovebox return string
3) remove the 2 glovebox stops and "pivot" plug
4) remove the glovebox
5) open the access cover and replace the filter element
6) reassemble in reverse order

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's good to hear. I was dreading the time when ours needs to be replaced after seeing the instructions myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's kind of a pain in the rear, but it's doable. I've done it 2 or 3 times now. My '99 Forester's was MUCH easier than this one. Hope they had a chance to rethink this in the '08.

BTW, I think the mileage range for changing these is way too high. I live in the desert and have been changing them every 12k or so. I may even cut that some next time...the last one had 15k on it and was really filthy.

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, we have 14k on our 07. I guess I should take a look at it before pollen season.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mileage isn't a real good indicator of cabin filter wear, it's more dependent on time in use. Also if you live in a dry climate (like AZ, NV, CA) which is more prone to airborne dust/debris it'll wear a lot quicker obviously.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Peaty! We had an oil change done today and they told my wife we needed a new filter at 18,750. They wanted to charge $85 plus labor. I told her to forget it and I'll do it myself. Good lord, 85 for a filter is highway robbery!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did this in our Tribeca the other day. It's pretty easy to do. I followed Peatys instructions and used his method to remove the entire glove box, which saves a lot of work. It's pretty much the same method I used to do the filter in my STI.
Thanks for the write up Peaty!
BTW I found a place on ebay that sells the filters relatively cheap, I believe I paid $25 or so for a pair. Just do a search for Tribeca cabin filter.:tup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep in mind that the price may reflect the actual quality of the part. On some vehicle we have looked at 2 or 3 brands of cabin filters and sometimes have needed to go with the OE part for proper fitment. Many economy filters do not fit properly due to lack of ridgid support and get sucked or blown right out of position allowing the air to bypass the filter and sometimes restrict air flow. YMMV.

·
Registered
191 Posts
cabin filter check my photos!

I dont think mine was ever replaced. I followed the instructions in the downloaded manual. I should have followed texan instructions in this link. I made the job too big,as I I took off unneeded stuff. Doesn't matter. I see why a dealer might charge $85..its a teadious job..but worth it.

I did mine tonight and am glad I did! My car has 61,000 on it. I bought it used and I assumme its never been changed.

Tomorrow I will go to the parts store and buy a new one.

I pulled a brake pad off tonight on the front...pad had about 90% left..so I assume prior owner may have changed them.I would have bet they were shot.

Changed my oil and oil filter,then the air filter in the engine bay. Next I am doing the tranny and diff. I am doing my own 60K maintainance.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
picture of disasembly to get to cabin filter on 06

I took photos . So next time someone does it, they dont follow the subaru manual.

It's really very easy and I think i can replace it the next time in 30 min or less. I took off about 4 too many pieces of trim molding in my first attempt.

I enjoyed the photo J9-CT. I am surprised either of us had any air flow at all.

We have had the tribeca for 3 months..we love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the helpful DIY post. I changed our filter today. The only part that I had trouble with was pulling out the pins. Some of them were a pain. Oh well. I have never been the mechanic type but I'm looking forward to more DIY projects.:tup:

Oh yeah. I took some before/after photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
The filter size is the same on my folks 4runner. I replaced theirs in 30 SECONDS flat. I bought the Oreily's brand for 8 dollars. I know the Tribeca has more labor involved. DEALER WANTS 85 BUCKS TO DO IT!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Holy cow! I haven't even thought about replacing mine. But after seeing these pictures I'm going to. I'm really good at changing our house filter every 2-3 months, but have clearly neglected Becca's.

Who's got the best price on them? I'd prefer to just order it online and install it after it arrives.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might do better with another brand or store, but I got the Wix 24875 (ac filter) at $16 ea. and Wix 49012 (engine air filter) at $13 ea. through Amazon. The Wix filters are hard to distinguish from OEM. You'd think the engine air filter would be more expensive since there isn't much to the ac filter. I'd be interested if other folks are finding them cheaper....

Also, I changed the ac filter at just 10k miles and was surprised by how much debris (seeds, leaves, etc.) was on the filter. I had to be careful when removing it not to let junk fall down into the fan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also bought the wix cabin air filter. I got it through Rockauto.com. They have a warehouse in NJ, so my orders from them to CT usually arrive in a day or 2 even with the cheapest shipping option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We bought our filter at Auto Zone for $17. I think I will check online next time because it looks like you can get a better deal.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts