Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not only are we paying way to much for cars, we are paying 2-3 times as much for parts in Canada. The front brake kit for my 1994 Turbo Legacy was $169 in Canada and $ 69 US, the rears were $59 rather than $149. The oil filters for my Tribeca are $6 US but $17 here in Canada. These are OEM subaru parts - I checked the numbers first. I order from Premier Subaru (premiersubaruparts.com) because they will ship by USPS for 15% shipping charge. USPS is slower but you only pay a small handling charge from Canada post for the privelege of paying PSt and GST (my pet peve - paying a charge to pay tax's - ah the Canadian Way). Still a lot cheaper that UPS or FED Ex who charge significant broker fee for the same privelidge.

For my 1994 Subaru I ordered a buch of parts that would have cost $470 her but cost me $275 us plus shipping - worth the wait.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with and support your comments, Bill. I just ordered a full set of floor mats from the US and saved just over 50% from the Canadiain prices. I also shipped with USPS to save the large brokerage fees.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just got back from Pennslavania where I picked up my puddle light kit/aero bars and rear bumper guard. The Puddle light kit was $185 US, here, it would have been $333 Ca. For all three (I also got a 20% off coupon, try finding that in canada.. NOT) with taxes, I paid $350 US. Here in canada, incl. taxes would have run me a little over $700.

One thing I found interesting in my research for buying a car. I was looking at a used Acura MDX... which is made here in canada. its actually cheaper in the US than it is here, how the heck does that work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered mud guards, a hatch cover and a net for my B9 at about half the cost as well. I wish I had bought the tribeca in the states as well - too late now.

What happens with a US Subaru in Canada. Do you have to make any changes re the dash - or do you make do with a MPH dash. Is the warranty effective on both sides of the border ?? Just curious as I would like to get a Legacy GT in the in a year or two.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From what I understand you have to get your dash converted to Km/h and if your car doesn't have it, you have to get the daytime running lights. I don't think you can get your vehicle registered here if you don't get those things done. There may be other small things. As for warranty, if you buy an 06 or 07, the warranty carries over from the US to Canada. If you buy an 08 and bring it to Canada, Subaru Canada will not honor it ... honour for us canadians :)

You will have to bring it back to the closest US border dealership to have service done. There are some dealerships that will sell you a US model 08 and if warranty work needs to be done, you get it done here in Canada and the US dealership will reimburse you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I thought Subaru was better than the rest of the manufacturers. As a Canadian do you ever feel like the silence of our government is deafening !!! The warranty should be transportable between Subaru Canada and the USA.

Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bill_S said:
I though Subaru was better than the rest of the manufacturers. As a Canadian do you ever feel like the silence of our government is deafening !!! The warranty should be transportable between Subaru Canada and the USA.
Why would the government get involved in a business decision?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the government has a responsibility to make sure that we are fairly treated. It is obvious that all canadian distributers are trying to block us from purchasing in the USA by pulling warranties. There is no reason that I can think of that we should pay 30% more for vehicles and 2-3 times more for parts not that the dollar is on par with the US dollar. What about free trade.

So sure don't have recipricol warranties, however make them justify the overcharging in our country - the warranty issue will go away if we can purchase at a fair price here. As far as I am concerned this is all about price fixing in our country - taking advantage of our mind set of a $70 or lower valued canadian dollar of the past.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good comments Bill, and I support everything you are saying.

I have heard some news about Transport Canada not allowing in US vehicles due to differences in engine imobilizers and I wonder how much of this is due to the manufacturers lobbying the Federal government.

This comes back to what responsibility the govt has for the fairness and rights of it citizens vs business.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The only part I don't like about it is the fact that manufacturers are discriminating against Canadians. I can go down to Buffalo and purchase
clothes/food/electronics... the same stuff they sell here in Canada, but when it comes to cars, motorcycles and snowmobiles the US Franchises aren't allowed to sell to us. I understand that they are just trying to protect the Canadian Franchises... the way to protect them is to offer Canadians better rebates and incentives to keep us from shopping south of the border. It's plain and simple economics. We live in a capitalist society, let the consumer decide.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can pretty much import any vehicle to Canada. Now, each vehicle will differer on what it has to get done to be certified by transport Canada. you, the consumer has to find out how much that costs and whether its worth your trouble. There are a few used car and new car dealerships importing cars (including tribecas) to Canada and selling for US prices, so they do the work for you, you just have to pay GST and PST.

There is a company not too far from me that sells US 08 beca's for 33,000, that same beca here is 42,000, the only real issue is the warranty. They sell it as a used vehicle (less than 8,000kms)

I think the way that US franchises get away to selling to canadians is they sell their vehicles to a fleet leasing company which then turns around and sells them to Canadians.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another little factor. The American prices have manufacturer sales tax included (hidden) in the sticker price. They pay only state tax on top. We in Canada do not have these tax's built into the sticker, but added afterwards as GST and of course PST (for us non-albertans). So we are really paying an additional 7% more than the Americans on an already bloated Canadian price - I doubt we can apply for a refund of their MST post purchase.

Just some food for thought !!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think when the GST was first introduced to us, they told us it was replacing the manufacturing tax so basically we shouldn't be seeing any difference in our overall price(s). HA HA HA, what a load. Did you really think manufacturers were going to reduce their product price to consumer by 7%?
Actually, the GST is 6% now.

There are a lot of reasons why things cost more here in Canada, I am sure its not as simple as it seems. Our dollar is at par, we have a stronger economy at the moment, our minimum wage is higher, we are taxed more than the americans. A lot of stuff that we import costs more to bring into Canada... by the time that offshore Chinese made widget gets shipped to the US by boat, and then shipped by semi to the border, duties paid, transportation costs, you've pretty much added 20% to the cost of an item.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True it is 6% more for GST (I forgot) - but just reflective of the additional cost for a Canadian over an American buying the same vehicle. However, what about all the cars made in Canada that cost must less in the USA than in their place of origin??

No matter how you argue it, the difference is the lack of willingness on many retail levels to adjust prices for the increase in value of the dollar. It will take a buyer revolt. which is kind of happening now to make the distributers lower the prices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am from Montreal and I buy all my Subaru parts (for both our 08 Tribeca and 04 Impreza OS) from www.subaruproparts.com. This is the parts dept of Manchester Subaru dealer in NH (No sales taxes in NH!!).
Then I have it delivered directly at home or to a virtual US address using Freeport Forwarding (www.freeportforwarding.com). Then Freeport ships it to you with the carrier of your choice. Since they ship a lot, you pay a very low price for shipping. No problem with the border so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Purchasing from www.subaruparts.com

Good to know. They don't charge tax on international shipments. Shipping is about 15% by USPS - gets to the border almost instantly and then takes weeks to get to you through Canada Post however. Sometimes you get lucky and don't have to pay tax or handling fee - actually both times the package just came to the door come to think of it without additional charges. Imagine my delight parts at 1/3 to 1/2 the price and no TAX !!!! The fellows in the order department couldn't be more helpful. Will look into this virtual American Address - would it be a good way to have tires shipped from Tirerack ?? - Tires are cheap however shipping is a fortune, not to mention broker fees.

·
Registered
79 Posts
buying from US

I too am from Canada. I was planning on buying from the US as well, but decided against it due to getting what I think was an awesome deal for an '09 Tribeca. The factory was giving 8500 cash incentive and I negotiated $3500 from the dealer for total $12000 discount off list. I only wanted a Ltd. model but none were left in Ontario as I was told. Ended up getting Premeire with NAV, so I had to fork out $3K more for NAV. I bit and took it, but I really didn't think 3K for NAV was even remotely worth it.

I also just bought today my accessories from subarugenuineparts.com. Total came just over $600US and chose USPS (paid $40US more than UPS Standard) 'cuz I heard USP standard rapes you for customs/brokerage etc...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts