Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took car in to adjust lower panel after puddle light install at dealer and they washed it and drove it around for pick up on sunny day.

Well I saw .5 mm- 1mm spots first on drivers door then looked and noticed it on all doors and even rear hatch door below window on paint, they tried to compound one out, but no go. Either in paint or clear coat. Left car there for their body shop to look at on Tuesday. If needs repaint, then they will call in SUBARU GENERAL REP to look.

I said no repaint on BRAND NEW car with 436 miles on it.

This was a surprise cause I took it in for something small.

This is pearl white and light brown spots all over car is strange, Service manager said that it isn't rail dust.

ANYONE HEARD OR SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS?

I'm new to Subaru, so don't know what to think at this point.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had a few Subarus, and I currently own two. I love the cars, but I have to say that their paint jobs aren't always the best.

I hope the dealer takes good care of you - this wouldn't be the first paint issue I've heard of/seen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would take a paint guy to know what this is, but does not sound good if compounding cream does not get one out!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I dunno what I would do. The gold ones had some swirl issues, but I haven't heard of anything like this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you let them repaint your brand new 2 week old car or demand a new one when the whole thing has this, I told salesman not to give car back if they start talking repaint.

Value drops on repaint, cause never as good as factory.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, if the the car is BRAND new I wouldn't want it repainted neither. As you know, most paint shops can't duplicate a factory finish unless they're like a custom car shop which you know they won't use:(

·
Registered
214 Posts
The stis had paint issues and there were threads about it on iwsti. Troubling, to say the least.

Let us know how the dealer treats you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
njjuliano said:
The stis had paint issues and there were threads about it on iwsti. Troubling, to say the least.

Let us know how the dealer treats you.

What did dealer do in that forum for the new cars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like its rail rust. I used to manage a detail shop and had several cars that came in with it. Its usually caused when transporting vehicle by train. the rust that is kicked up off the rail adheres to the paint, and if not removed promptly it "bakes" onto the finish. Also, if you live near a railroad or parked near one at some point it may have caused this as well.

We were able to compound it off of the vehicles though. You may need to find a really good reputable detail shop to do the work. Dealership "detailers" are usually pressed for time... they are paid by the car not by the hour so they rush jobs and usually dont do to good of a job. Let us know how this works out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They tried to compound one spec off to see and it didn't come of at dealership.

Owner of dealership owns body shop, so we will see.

I don't want anyone other then dealer at this time so I don't get blamed.

Thanks for response.

I'LL TELL YOU GUYS HOW IT TURNS OUT, cause we really like our car!:eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Went to dealership today and saw car.

They told me over phone that they could not get it all out and detail guy told them that some SPOTS ARE UNDER clearcoat. The car has no swirlls. I guess that clay bar is perty good.

I felt the car and it was smooth as glass, some of brown stains are off, but not all. Every panel of car you can see a few tea colored stains from barely noticeable to 1mm size, but less.

So they tried to say repaint, and I said no go ON A CAR WITH 400 MILES ON IT.

Either new car or give me money back is only option.

Some came off so prob. rail dust, the rest must be so inbeded in paint.

Now he said UNDER CLEAR COAT?

I guess like MEMO SAID, BAKED IN TO FINISH!

Maybe splattered so hard on paint that the only way to get off is to remove clear coat, repaint.

I took everything out of the car, and left for work.
IT WAS hard leaving a new car.

The ball is in their court now.

I don't want car body rusting and those spots getting :censored: bigger.

I will truly see how SUBARU CORPORATE TAKES CARE OF A NEW CUSTOMER.

My wife likes the TRIBECA and wants A TRIBECA BACK.

Pearl white is a beautiful color, but rail dust or paint imperfections under clear coat show up and very obvious.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of paint issues on a brand new car. If it were me I would want a new one or just get my money back. I believe once there is a certain amount of work/ paint damage, the dealer has to declare it a repaint and it devalues it.

Subaru paint it horrible. It is soft, chips easy and just doesn't take a good beating. Damn environmentalists. I know a dealer who gave a brand new STi to a body shop they farm the work out to. The body shop actually burned through the paint and the whole door had to be repainted.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read that you can't get all of dust out and it is noticeable again after it rains.

It is strange how their detail guy at body shop didn't know it was rail dust.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, dealership is saying the only way for them to fix car is a REPAINT.
They sent info and pics to Subaru corporate to see what they want to do on a new 400 mile car.

I don't want repaint...money back or new TRIBECA.

I did'nt expect this!!:Dunno:

I will tell you how it goes, I HOPE I WONT HAVE TO GET THE Texas Motor Vehicle Commission involved and SUBARU TRULY does the right thing.

CAR HAS BEEN TITLED according to dealer.

There goes the feel good new car experience.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see in this forum that rail dust is not new, and they repainted 2 year old car.

MY Tribeca is 2 weeks old.

I will call Texas motor vehicle on Monday and speak to someone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have another new 2009 Tribeca (IT IS THE harvest gold) after 5 weeks of back and forth with corporate, not white.

My 2009 white car had less then 500 miles on it, when we saw spots. CLAY BAR DID NOT WORK ON MINE.

I am glad it is over and people at corporate came through and took care of me and now I AM down to the business of enjoying new car.

If you are still under warranty, take it to dealer. If you have allot of miles on it, maybe it is a repaint. If you are not pleased with dealer , call corporate like I did. THEY REALLY LISTEN and are sensitive to customer, at least to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts