Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a brake controller on their Tribeca? They are very clunky and no good spot to install under the dash. I just found a wireless controller from Tekonsha (Prodigy RF). No wiring needed under the dash. Does anyone has experience with this product on their Tribeca?

Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Trailer brakes aren't a bad idea, but remember you can only tow 3500 lbs with the Tribeca. If the load really merits brakes, you're probably exceeding tow capacity:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snork said:
Trailer brakes aren't a bad idea, but remember you can only tow 3500 lbs with the Tribeca. If the load really merits brakes, you're probably exceeding tow capacity:eek:
I live in AZ, and mountain passes are very steep. The trailer is 2500 lbs, I took it out this weekend for the first time. Going down those mountain passes the ABS system was very unhappy, working overtime, even at 35 - 40 MPH. Traditional brake controllers seem to painful to install in a Tribeca so I am going to investigate the wireless option.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah, I see...you got some extenuating circumstances there. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're towing, make sure you're using your tranny to slow you as much as possible. Overheated brakes causing brake fluid to boil and therefore losing ALL braking ability does not make for a fun day :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did find out for the wireless brake controller that you will need to run the battery power wire to the hitch wiring. That is how the wireless controller gets its power.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, that's not unusual like any other aftermarket electronic accessory.

You might want to look into getting it professionally installed if you're not comfortable with doing wiring yourself. I'm not sure what the power draw is, but if it's less than 10A, you could look at look at doing it at a spare fuse location vs. tapping off the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts