Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As stated in the title, my 2008 (42,000 miles) Tribeca blew it's head gasket. Well that's what we were told at the end of the whole ordeal.

HISTORY- On May 15th 2010 we drove from California to Kentucky pulling our trailer with motorcycle, scooter and misc stuff inside. The trip went flawless and the Tribeca performed great with my wife behind the wheel as I was in our 2nd car.

Once we got to Kentucky, we unloaded the trailer into a storage unit except for our luggage as we then proceeded to Florida to visit family.

This is where it goes wrong. After driving through the hills of Tennessee we ran into some heavy rain. A short time later the AT Trans Temp light came on, the cruise control light stated blinking and shut off, the Check Engine light stated blinking and the Stability Control light came on. We pulled over and checked everything out and did not see anything unusual. We checked the manual and it stated to let the transmission cool down and to get it to the service department. We called the nearest Subaru dealer and the service manager stated the same thing so we continued the trip after the transmission cooled down.

We made it to Florida without any further issues and the next morning I took it to the dealership. I explained to them that I was only there for a few days and I hoped that it was something simple. 5 days later they still didn't know what the cause was and I had to return to Kentucky to close on my new house. We left our son and 2 dogs with family and borrowed their car instead of renting since the dealership doesn't offer a loaner.

After about 7 days it was explained to us that an engine leak dripped oil onto the transmission sensors and caused them to short out, but they could not see where the leak came from. They ended up running a dye solution through the engine and found out where the leak came from. But we got told that since this has never happened in that part of the region, they had to call in some tech's from around the area to (I guess) use it as a training lesson. They also stated that they would have to call in a special tech to pull the engine. We were told that it would only take about a week and that it had to be done as the tech could only be there that long. A week went by and we got the run around by the Service Manager stating that he never said that it would be done in a week and that they still had to order the parts to repair it.

We tried speaking to whomever would listen and they all kept stating that it was being worked on as quickly as they could. On several occasions they stated "as long as the tech doesn't get distracted" he should be done soon.

Get's distracted? He better not get distracted! At this point it has been almost a month and we were ready for this to end so we could get our son back home.

Well finally on the 24th of June it was completed, exactly 30 days later. My mother in-law drove it around town for a few days before starting the trip to Kentucky. She made the trip without any further issues and it seems to be holding up pretty good.

I know this is a long read but I wanted to explain the whole thing just in case someone else out there experiences the same issue. Although I'm sure the Service Manager tried to get it done as quickly as he could, we are alittle disappointed that it took that long. Does this sound normal? Fortunately it was covered under warranty but now I wonder what's next!

·
Registered
139 Posts
It does NOT usually run that long.

The thing to keep in mind about warranty work is that the service department is paid by Subaru to do it. Problem is that Subaru doesn't pay nearly what off-the-street customers pay for each job. What that means is that less ethical service departments will prioritize non-warranty business over warranty business, as it'll make them more money.

I'd guess that by "unless he gets distracted," they mean "unless someone comes in who will pay us more per hour than Subaru will for this massive job."

If this happened to me, I would have been on the horn with Subaru of America directly, as they have the clout necessary to make a service department quit dragging its' heels and fix something. See, if you're not happy with the service department at a Subaru dealer, you'll associate Subaru with "crap service." That won't result in a repeat purchase, and that's exactly what Subaru wants...so they'll swoop in and fix a problem like this for you.

Hop onto http://forums.kysubaruclub.net/ and tell 'em you're new in the state with a Tribeca. They'll no doubt have some great recommendations for reputable dealers close to your new place :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.