Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big trouble. One of he belts, not sure whether it's the drive or serpentine belt snapped while my wife was pulling into the parking lot. Obviously the vehicle is dead. I had just bought a new belt and two pulleys online and was about to take it to the mechanic to be fitted. Does anyone have any idea how I could do this myself as the mechanic is closed until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There's only one belt on the Tribeca which drives the AC compressor, the alternator and the PS pump. The belt is tensioned by a pulley which is just below the PS pulley. You turn it clockwise I think and this loosens the tension enough to fit new belt. I have to say that when I replaced mine, it was a very tight fit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
you will need to take off the air inlet 'only 2 clips and pulls out off the air box. then the plastic cover on top of radiator many platic clips .not too difficult ,install the tensioner and idler pulley ,note that tensioner bolts are somehow hidden but they are accessible just look at the new tensioner and you will see the holes,be carefull not to overtight and strip screws or undertight them i dont know torque specs i did it by feel . load the tensioner with a wrench on the bolt that holds the tensioner pulley to the tensioner arm to overcome tensioner spring ,be carefull spring is powerfull. install belt and you r done ,note i temporarily Zip tied the cooling hose that goes across since it was on my way all the time and that helped me a lot ...Good Luck:tup:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hope this went well. A very common issue, that pulley failing. Something you absolutely can DIY if you have the tools and some mechanical aptitude.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Torque specs for idler and tensioner replacement.

you will need to take off the air inlet 'only 2 clips and pulls out off the air box. then the plastic cover on top of radiator many platic clips .not too difficult ,install the tensioner and idler pulley, note that tensioner bolts are somewhat hidden but they are accessible just look at the new tensioner and you will see the holes, be carefull not to overtight and strip screws or undertight them i dont know torque specs i did it by feel.:tup:
Torque specifications as follows:

Two bolts on the Tensioner Assembly (the "somewhat hidden" ones): part identified as "T2" in the shop manual, part 010408300: 14 ft-lbs, much less than the torque on the pulley bolts.

Idler pulley bolt with "3-nubbed" metal washer (as well as the identical screw and washer on the "pulley" portion of the Tensioner Assembly): 25 ft-lbs. This bolt is identified as part "T4" in the shop manual, part 23771AA000. The 3-nubbed washer is part 23772AA000, don't let it fall when you remove one or both of these bolts.

Important note: if you want to replace only the pulley portion of the Tensioner Assembly (rather than the whole assembly), be sure avoid losing the the nut which will fall off the back of the Tensioner Pulley when you remove bolt "T4". A rag, or some tape over the nut, or your other hand, keeps it from falling away. (The washer on the "top side" and the nut on the back both need to be kept and re-used, if you pull the pulley from the spring-loaded "base" of the "assembly".

There is no equivalent nut behind the Idler pulley; it goes into a threaded socket on the A/C compressor stay. There's only the washer on the "top side".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts