Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2007 B9. I bought it two years ago and needed to replace the battery almost immediately when it started surging when accelerating/climbing. It’s been 100% until yesterday. Same thing started again. I checked the liquids in the battery and it’s in the white zone. I’m thinking replace battery as it’s 2 years old. A friend has suggested the alternator could be the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Surging while accelerating seems like an odd symptom for a failing battery.

If you suspect the alternator, be careful with an after market replacement/rebuild. Many part stores have the incorrect part. Lots in info on the H6 alternator over at subaruoutback.org. Make sure you get the right one.

Surging while accelerating - Do you mean the RPM go up unexpectedly? Like the transmission is slipping? Could be grounds causing bad signals. But you should get some codes. Any check engine light? Or Transmission light? If so, get them read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surging while accelerating seems like an odd symptom for a failing battery.

If you suspect the alternator, be careful with an after market replacement/rebuild. Many part stores have the incorrect part. Lots in info on the H6 alternator over at subaruoutback.org. Make sure you get the right one.

It's not charging as much as it should when all electrics are on. I'll check the H6 alternator info. Thanks.

Surging while accelerating - Do you mean the RPM go up unexpectedly? Like the transmission is slipping? Could be grounds causing bad signals. But you should get some codes. Any check engine light? Or Transmission light? If so, get them read.
It only happens when I'm accelerating heavily, mainly when overtaking or climbing a steep incline. It's kinda like it's struggling to maintain the acceleration. As soon as I back off on the pedal it runs fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts