Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering, has anyone other than me bought a base Tribeca? Seems everyone buys limited. I'd have gone with a limited, but for the price the base was perfect. The only thing I miss is having heated seats (which didn't come on base 2008 models-but did in 2009:mad: ). Any of the other stuff is not really needed to me. I would like rear dvd for the kids, but the price of 30000 for my base or 33000 for limited or 37000 for limited w/dvd/nav in 2008 (for the 7-passenger models) just pushed me to buy a base model. I haven't even seen any base models for sale except one used 2008 5-passenger a little while ago. On the road I see mostly limiteds, but it's hard to tell sometimes since some of the newer 09 and 10's limited and premiums don't always have roof rails. I guess at some point I'll get heated seats put in, but until then I'll just wonder how many base models actually are out there.:confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
not to many, but i do see some. but dont worry, a base gets the best value of the car b/c the price is jacked up with other the goods and if all you want is htd seats, then have them put in, i think all the wiring is there. so dont threat, you got a NICE car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I love the car, I just wondered if anyone else has bought a base model. It came with so many things I'd have to pay for on almost any other car that I didn't worry. Everyone that's been in it has always been surprised--- "this is a base model?" Had the car for over 2 years now, and my buddy who just bought a fully loaded limited '11 Outback still likes my car.;) Sometimes he wishes he got a Tribeca! his Outback is sweet tho

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mine is a limited, but before I bought it, I compared prices, option for option, with the Nissan Murano. I bought my '07 in '08, and the '09 Murano was already out.

You could get a stripped Murano for less than the Tribeca, but when I compared options, the Murano was more expensive when equipped with the same options as the Tribeca.

Also, the Murano only had CVT (which tended to surge when driving at steady speeds), no 3rd-row option, no sunroof option, (and, at the time, I think no leather option), substantially smaller storage in back (with or without seats folded), and a redesigned dash that copied the Tribeca.

It just wasn't even in the same league as the Tribeca. Base Tribeca is quite well equipped. The Limited doesn't really add that much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and I purchased a 2010 Tribeca Premium (base model) in July. You are right to say there aren't too many of the base models out there. I first starting thinking about the Tribeca when I saw our unit advertised for $29,988 at the dealer closest to us. I then shopped all the dealers in Oregon and a few in Seattle, and found only 2-3 Tribeca Premiums available. Frankly, there weren't that many Tribecas available in any trim.

A dealer up in Seattle had a red 2010 Tribeca Limited available at $30,500. We used this one as leverage in negotiations, but frankly we didn't like the red color as much as the silver we have now--and I didn't want to drive 3+ hours with a pregnant wife to go see it!

I would have liked to have leather seats and the back up camera, but neither are deal breakers. I think Subaru does a very good job of putting a lot of good things in their base models. On our 2006 Outback which also was a base model, we were impressed with all the features that it came with and didn't have to pay extra for like the competitors.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The downside to having a well-equipped base model is that Subarus suffer by comparison for unaware, price-conscious shoppers. If people don't pay attention to options, they can get competitors for much less, and think they got a great deal.

SOA just isn't big enough offer all the possibilities that larger brands offer. If current trends continue, that may be changing...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very true, and I think you are right about changing times and more trims being offered. Though it is usually pretty difficult to find those cheap base models. They advertise them to get a buyer into the dealership, then low and behold none exist at that price! Even in my search for a Tribeca, most units available were fully loaded--way out of my price range.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've never seen a base Tribeca. When my local dealer does have one around, it's always fully loaded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems base models are fairly rare. When I got ours new in 08, there were only 2 at the dealer: one 5 seat and our 7 seater. All the others were limited (I think 4 or 5 ). I liked the premium (base) in 09, and for the same price you get heated seats! I couldn't have waited a year tho, my Legacy wouldn't have been worth as much, hence how I was able to get the Tribeca. We don't really like our closest dealer, so we drove down to CT (about 1/2 hour) when I bought ours. It was a bit of a haggle, but they definitely worked with us to get it into our budget.
I have noticed bare bones base Subies are hard to come by. All the models at the dealers seem to have some factory options on them. I've only seen maybe a handful of base models (mainly Foresters) without any options. I always wander thru the lot when the Tribeca's in for service.;)
I did look at the CX-9, Highlander and Edge (and used 07 Murano). I found that the base Tribeca had everything I wanted -and then some- without having to pay more for options (or a bit less to about the same for used). Add that I like how Subarus drive and I found a dealer who worked with me and I was set!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts