Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of strange thing happened to me. After putting in the JDM engine due to bad head gaskets, I have only driven it about 7k miles in 2 years.

I keep pulling off the radiator cap to ensure that the level stays at the top out of paranoia because the level dropped on me last time before head gasket mess started last time.

Last month, I went to do my check and found the radiator cap loose. I thought that was strange.

I also noticed that the upper radiator hose is slimy on the edges. Not sure if this is due to the dirt road I am forced to drive on or if that is the Subaru Coolant Additive that I added when I did a fresh change with it and Peak Global LL back then.

I put the cap back on and it is doing the same thing as it did before the head gasket failed again. The coolant level drops an inch or two consistently below cap level after I drive, let it cool and then add distilled water.

I think that I am reliving my nightmare again. The cap only has about 15k on it and the reservoir hose does as well. I angled it as suggested to make sure that it sucks in coolant.

No overheating...even without the cap and revving I can't get it to go past the 3 middle bars....YET, lol.

I just pressure tested the radiator cap and it opens just fine at 14psi.

I just pressure tested the system and it holds pressure.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Headgaskets seems unlikely given the history. I would look at the radiator for a leak at the edges where the end tank meets the fins. Look for white crust. Or it could be the lower metal pipe.

Pressure test would indicate you don't have an issue there, but I've had the end tank leak only when hot. Cold it was sealed up.

Tom

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I have removed the shroud at the top to keep an eye on it.

Strange thing happens after pressure tests. If the engine is stone cold and I press the button to release the pressure the coolant gets sucked out which is normal. However the radiator level stays right at the top of the cap afterwards. If I let it sit overnight it goes down but only by a few ounces. This makes no sense since it lost a ton of coolant in the form of a geyser. Also wondering why the level remains all the way at the top like that. I would think it would immediately go down after erupting especially with this happening while it is stone cold.

Almost seems like a blockage?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyways, I have found no signs of leaking with it hot but it still no longer sits at the radiator cap but a few inches downwards on that tube. Exactly the same way that my old engine behaved.

I also found something disturbing. My radiator fans do not turn on. I don't know how long they have been like this. I wonder if it overheated and I didn't know about it. The relay was not seated correctly and now the fans work.

I am pretty sure this is a head gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts