Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're having a baby in about 2 weeks, and trying to figure out where to put it. The anchor works great on the sides of middle row. When placed there it mashes into the front seat and you have to move it way forward. This is the rear facing baby seat.

So I tried putting it in the middle of the middle row seat. Seems like it is not going to work there. There are no LATCH points there, and the latch belt won't reach anyway to the sides. So only option is to use the ceiling seat belt. I run it down and across as shown. The belt will not tighten, it just stays loose, no tension. There's the metal locking bracket that came with the seat to put on the belt, but it makes little to no difference. It just slides along the belt anyway.

Does anybody have an answer for using the middle spot? Or is it that it just won't work? Thanks!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry, I can't help. But you might want to take the car-seat and goto your local Subaru dealership. Perhaps they can help you out.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, since there are no LATCH mounting points I think you'd be best to LATCH it to either side (pass or driver side). You could push the 2nd row back as far as it can go. Of course I'm assuming you have a 7pass that has that capability. That should give you enough clearance. I guess you can go back to the dealer to ask, but be sure to ask if the person installing the infant car seat is Car Seat Certified. If not, you can't be totally sure they are giving you the correct information. Call you local PD or Fire Department. Someone there should be Certified.

I work for a major car seat manufacturer so I'm pretty knowledgeable. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions and much luck on your first kid. I'm sure you already know you'll be spending a fortune on baby products!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lottawork said:
So I tried putting it in the middle of the middle row seat. Seems like it is not going to work there. There are no LATCH points there, and the latch belt won't reach anyway to the sides. So only option is to use the ceiling seat belt. I run it down and across as shown. The belt will not tighten, it just stays loose, no tension. There's the metal locking bracket that came with the seat to put on the belt, but it makes little to no difference. It just slides along the belt anyway.

Does anybody have an answer for using the middle spot? Or is it that it just won't work? Thanks!
In using the LATCH when you put the car seat in the middle, use one from the left seat side and one from the right seat side. As for the Ceiling seat belt, to make it tight, you'd have to pull it out ALL THE WAY and then let it roll back into the housing. You should hear it clicking as it winds back. When the belt stops winding back, pull or push the belt into the seatbelt housing until you can't put anymore belt in. That'll make the belt super-tight.

I have an 11 month baby and I've been using the middle second row seat for the car-seat with no problems. Also, the manual says the baby is safest in the middle of the vehicle. Let me know if you still need help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
New Tribeca owner and new parent here, also. Jaycee is right: use (1) latch from each side, and crank it down by putting a knee on the seat while pulling the tether. Make sure the base is close to level, too. Our Chicco Keyfit seat has worked great for us in our 5-pass Limited, and there is a lot more space than our '01 Outback. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
jaycee said:
In using the LATCH when you put the car seat in the middle, use one from the left seat side and one from the right seat side. As for the Ceiling seat belt, to make it tight, you'd have to pull it out ALL THE WAY and then let it roll back into the housing. You should hear it clicking as it winds back. When the belt stops winding back, pull or push the belt into the seatbelt housing until you can't put anymore belt in. That'll make the belt super-tight.

I have an 11 month baby and I've been using the middle second row seat for the car-seat with no problems. Also, the manual says the baby is safest in the middle of the vehicle. Let me know if you still need help.
Ok, I checked in with my co-worker who is Car Seat Certified. He said that if there is no dedicated center seat LATCH, you can not use one driver/ one passenger side LATCH to make it work. The anchors welded to the frame of the car are designed to with stand spec'd force. He said to double check the car's owner's manual to see recommended seat configurations.

You can also check out safercar.gov. Here's the link directly to LATCH.

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...toid=20cd79becb98f110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stilll looking for Tribeca's take on Q6. Sounds like I might be wrong.

Below is from here: http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html

5Q. Why aren't LATCH lower anchors provided for the rear center seat?

A. Two pairs of LATCH lower anchors are required in the back seat of vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2002, and those anchors are required to be a specified distance apart for safety protection in a crash. Because of this required spacing between the lower anchorages, most vehicles do not have a rear seat that is wide enough to accommodate anchorages in the center seating position and in an adjacent outboard position. While lower anchorages are typically installed at outboard seating positions, most vehicles that have a center rear seating position without lower anchors also provide a top tether for additional safety benefit.

6Q. Can I use the two inboard lower anchors (of the outboard LATCH seating positions) to install my child seat in the rear center seating position?

A. No, unless both the child restraint manufacturer's instructions and the vehicle owner's manual specifically state that this is acceptable. A child restraint can be installed using the rear-center seat belt and, if forward-facing, the top tether anchor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, great info from all. Thank y'all. I did test and find our baby seat Latch straps won't reach the two inner side latch points. The B9 manual doesn't say to do this either. So that is definitely not supposed to be done.

The side seat Latch works great on our rear-facing baby seat/base. We'd rather use the center seat for safety and comfort. So I tried what jaycee said about pulling the belt all the way out, and yes, that worked. It must have changed modes, I heard the clicking and it sticks tight. Thanks!

That link Magic gave is also nice. It was good to see the video there that confirms what I was doing looked right in the latch position.

So, after getting the seat in the middle using the ceiling seat belt, we found that if my wife and I were both sitting in the front seats neither of us would have direct access to the baby. The seat faces to the rear, and it's in the middle blocking both our reaches if we needed to do anything or see the little guy directly. Hmmm. We did get a headrest mirror. I guess we shouldn't be reaching while driving anyway, but it is something to think about if others are reading this post trying to figure out what to do. My wife said she might ride in the back seat if I'm driving anyway.
So, we figured out the side latch seat and the center belt, so I guess we're figure it out when he comes. Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We had our rear facing baby seat in the back right of the forester. Had to have the front passenger seat pretty far forward but it worked.
The tribeca should have the room with the 2nd row all the way back and the front seat moved forward.
Also it is more difficult to reach the baby when putting him in and out of the car if it's in the middle seat. And like you said, it makes it about impossible to reach him from the front seat.

It gets better. We have 2 forward facing seats in the back now in our tribeca and you can have either front seat wherever you want.

I like to kneel right in the seat with all of my weight on it and pull hard on the latch belt. Make that sucker tight enough that you shake the car when you grab hold of the baby seat and push.

Also - invest in one of these - they are a huge seatsaver!

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stage-Car-Seat-Protection/dp/B000083GHY

·
Registered
152 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Well, since there are no LATCH mounting points I think you'd be best to LATCH it to either side (pass or driver side). You could push the 2nd row back as far as it can go. Of course I'm assuming you have a 7pass that has that capability. That should give you enough clearance.
I have a 7pass and I can tell you my Orbit Baby car seat does NOT fit unless I move the front passenger seat up a little and the middle row ALL the way back (removing all legroom for third row).

The carseat can fit, but the front passenger cannot sit in a normal position, only moved forward. 7Pass + rear facing car seat = Fail :tdown:

·
Registered
50 Posts
What type of car seat are you using? We use a Britax Marathon in ours and we are using it in a rear facing config. right now. When I put the drivers seat to my settings there is about a 1/4" gap between my seat and the baby seat. The nice thing with the britax is it is certified for newborns up to 55lbs once you turn it around as a forward facing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
immortal_suby said:
Also - invest in one of these - they are a huge seatsaver!

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stage-Car-Seat-Protection/dp/B000083GHY
Best advice in this entire thread! We have two of these in our, one under our baby's seat, and one under my middle daughter's booster. You will be surprised how much of a beating these things take which is much better than letting the seat take the abuse directly. You can find them at any Babies R Us store in black or tan.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Target carries a really nice Edie Bauer version(black) that has pockets on the front part that hangs down. I think it was $15 and is nice and thick to protect the seat. Matches the dark grey interior of the Tribeca well.

Stock photo: (not mine)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts