Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

b9 tribeca sub woofer questions

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ionutz05cti 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 base tribeca, i am missing my subwoofer out of the 2013 limited, I picked up the 2008 to daily drive. my question is the 2008 has the new body style but the interior seems to have the old style b9 panels, the b9 tribeca has an optional subwoofer that goes in the back cubby as I said it appears the b9 to have the same interior panels as mine so would the b9 subwoofer work, what size is the sub and where is the amplifier located for the sub if it is amplified, lol one more question, is it pre wired for the sub.......

#2 ·
I am fairly certain the sub that is placed in the rear of the cargo hold is not amplified and is just a woofer of some odd size. We have a 2007 limited with the 9 speaker audio system and it has that "sub" way in the back that is completely useless. I believe you can get some under seat subs if you don't have navigation and that would help with the low response.

#3 ·
I have that rear sub in my '08. It is next to useless as its only amplified by the radio and has very low output. I bought an ultra cheap Boss 75W RMS mono amp that I'm going to try to drive it with an see if its worth anything with some proper power.

#4 ·
i grabbed one from the wrecking yard with plans to switch it out with a more substantial 6.5" sub and and amplifier as you said. but i may just go with a compact 8 " one and not worry about tearing the cargo space apart to get such a small sub in

#6 ·
ok so follow up I have the 6 speaker stereo, is mine going to have the factory wiring for the cargo area sub there waiting to be used , anyone have experience on this

#9 ·
Not an expert on this, and haven't tried it yet because I read there was something wierd about the signal coming out of our radio, like its balanced or something?... I have the useless rear sub as well and was wondering about tapping into those wires for a hi-Z input I have on an amp and putting a bigger sub I have sitting around in the back of the vehicle. Will this work for some quick dirty base or do I need some sort of external converter like you used? Will the built in line-in on the amp be enough (it has Hi-Z speaker wire inputs as well as low-Z RCA inputs?

#11 ·
I understand what a line converter does, and that the amp has one built in, its more a question about the balanced signal(?) coming from the radio, or some other weird thing that the radio does when sending the signal out to the speakers.... Maybe this won't be a concern if I use the subwoofer speaker wires? or are they amplified other then coming out of the radio? Mine is a 2009 without the premium audio.

#13 ·
Where did you tap into the speaker wires for the amp? Did you just disconnect the sub in the back and use those wires? What colour were the speaker wires in the vehicle? Also, if you did it properly, I'm assuming you ran a fused power line right off the battery all the way to the amp, is it at the back of your vehicle? Where did you ground your amp? And what did you use as a remote power line to turn your amp on and off? I'm getting ready to do this since I opened my dash and repaired a short in my radio due to water damage (pictures posted of that in another thread) and wanted to get into it with a little more info from someone that has already done it. I hear the low sounds are fairly muddled coming directly off the radio and the lowest bass is clipped right off...

#14 ·
First of all, my car, from factory had no Sub, so no wiring...I don't think you read my post carefully.:D "Got my 2 channel signal from a Scosche LOC 90, with speaker level signal from the radio plug ( rear left+rear right) " center console. So my amplifier sits under the driver seat, powered with a 8 gauge wire from the battery (with a fuse) running through the passenger side firewall, ground taken from driver seat bracket/bolt, and turn on signal from LOC2SL. LOC2SL gets power from the fuse box driver side with a tap on a fuse that's powered with ignition on. Finally last night I got my Kicker 48CWR84 and installed into the enclosure. This sub is 2 coils 4 ohm, has 2 positive and 2 negative. I put the 2 positive together and the 2 negative, resulting in a 2 ohm impedance. So I have only 2 wires coming from the sub. At the amplifier, since I had 2 + and 2 -, I connect them like this page 11:https://www.clarion.com/au/en/MungoBlobs/914/320/APX2120_4240_1300,0.pdf
tive
BTW, the Kicker I didn't break in yet, but still at lowest setting sounds awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.