Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this the Subaru B9 Tribeca experience. I bought a previously owned 2006 B9 Tribeca with 144K miles about a month ago. I started having starting problems about a week after I bought it. I found that the positive battery connector was corroded, and the battery had a bad cell. I replaced them both and the B9 worked fine for a week and half after that. I even took it on a long drive for 500 miles with no problems. But a few days later I got a steady check engine light, the traction sway off light was on steady and the cruise control light was blinking. It threw a P0028 code. After one day, the problem lights cleared out and everything seemed normal. The next morning the car would not start. I turned the key and nothing happened. It did not crank, the lights dimmed a little bit, but nothing else. I found with the car door open and the hood open that there was a very quiet clicking noise coming from the engine compartment.

I tested the battery, 12.6 Volts on the DVM and even took it to AutoZone for testing. It was fine. I tested all the fuses in the passenger compartment and in the engine compartment. They all tested good. I removed the starter. I reattached the battery terminals and had 12.6 volts at the starter connection and when the ignition was turned to Start I had 12+ volts at the solenoid. Even with no starter attached, there was still that soft clicking noise when the ignition was turned to start. I couldn’t isolate it in the engine compartment. I had the starter tested under load at 2 different parts stores and it worked fine.

So, in short, the battery and starter are working. I had 12 volts to the starter and 12 volts to the solenoid, so the ignition switch seems to be working. What am I missing? It seems that I have everything necessary for the engine to crank, but it is not turning over. Any thoughts on what else could affect it cranking?
Also, on another thread, it was suggested that to be sure that the engine was not frozen and it was suggested that they turn the engine with a large socket on one of the pulleys. Anybody know which pulley/bolt head to put the socket on and which way (clockwise or counter-clockwise) to turn the engine?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
B9 Tribeca won't start, won't crank: update

I got the Tribeca to crank and start. Here's what I did:

I reinstalled the starter, using contact cleaner to clean the surface of the engine where the start mounts, the starter mount, the starter electrical connection and the solenoid connection. The solenoid connection had some kind of gummy film on it which I had to work hard to get off. I cleaned the connector to the solenoid as best as I could. I cleaned the ground cable connector that attaches to the bolt that holds on the starter on.

I reinstalled the starter. I had read on another starting problem thread that they had a problem when they replaced the bad positive terminal connector. So I took the positive battery terminal connector apart and cleaned it with the contact cleaner. I reassembled it, attached it, tried the ignition and the starter turned the engine!

I reinstalled the air flow manifold on the engine and the car started right up.

To summarize: It could have been that the starter was stuck and the testing freed it up, or cleaning the connectors or cleaning the positive battery terminal fixed it.

Good luck with your repairs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Probably all the cleaning you did to connections and ground. Even though you had good voltage there was no load and cleaning things allowed the amps to flow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I recently discovered how important a good ground connection is. I bought a used Mazda CX-7 and chased an intermittent stalling problem for almost a year. Finally discovered that the inner part of the battery ground terminal had a layer of corrosion. It looked completely clean from the outside when connected to the battery but was was only making contact with maybe an 1/8 of an inch around the inside of the terminal.
Cleaned it and haven't had a problem in over 1 & 1/2 yrs since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts