Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the manual and found that to make the Aux input in the armrest work, you have to turn up the volume on the iPod and then turn up the volume in the car.

Didn't work. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kmartin said:
Did you also select the RSE/AUX button on the dash/radio controls?
Yup, the display confirmed rse/ aux, but no tunes. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hmmm, I think I got some weird static-like noise first time I plugged MP3 player in AUX. Turned ignition off, turned it back on with MP3 player still playing, and it worked then and so far without any problems.

I guess the HU (headUnit) in Beca will be trying to adjust to whatever your particular AUX device output level is. From various audio-topics at legacygt.com I've read that many MP3 players and XM/Sirius devices do not provide adequate line-level output. AFAIK, iPods were listed as ones having lower output levels that needed.

hence the playing with volume knob, I guess...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, I think I got some weird static-like noise first time I plugged MP3 player in AUX. Turned ignition off, turned it back on with MP3 player still playing, and it worked then and so far without any problems.
Thanks, I'll give that a try later today.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned ignition off, turned it back on with MP3 player still playing, and it worked then and so far without any problems.
Thanks for the advice man. It worked perfectly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You're welcome. Glad you got it working. We did enjoy having MP3 player in the car on our trip to Cape Cod lately.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SubOperator said:
You're welcome. Glad you got it working. We did enjoy having MP3 player in the car on our trip to Cape Cod lately.
Yeah, I'm glad it worked. I told my buddy and he couldn't figure out why you had to do that first step.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Magic Marker said:
So I read the manual and found that to make the Aux input in the armrest work, you have to turn up the volume on the iPod and then turn up the volume in the car.
Don't you get gain (feedback) when you turn up volume on top of another volume control? The process you described is exactly how electric guitars use to create distortion.

Personally, I think you should look into one of those Cigarette lighter adapters that plug into the docking port on the Ipod. There are a couple of brands that have a headphone jack on the adapter that you can then jack into the aux jack inside the center console. The nice thing about using the docking port is the volume control on the Ipod has no effect and allows the car stereo to control all volume functionality, thus giving you closer to CD sound. Also, by having the cigarette lighter adapter, your Ipod stays charged.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HB_Dad said:
Don't you get gain (feedback) when you turn up volume on top of another volume control? The process you described is exactly how electric guitars use to create distortion.

Personally, I think you should look into one of those Cigarette lighter adapters that plug into the docking port on the Ipod. There are a couple of brands that have a headphone jack on the adapter that you can then jack into the aux jack inside the center console. The nice thing about using the docking port is the volume control on the Ipod has no effect and allows the car stereo to control all volume functionality, thus giving you closer to CD sound. Also, by having the cigarette lighter adapter, your Ipod stays charged.
When I plug in the iPod, I have the volume on it's max. The B9's volume is at 5 or 6 and it works just fine. No feedback at all. As for the volume control, the steering wheel controls it fine. No issues. I just wish Subaru made some sort of iPod controller for it so I wouldn't have to select songs through the iPod.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What cable to use?

Hi All,

What cable are you all using?

I bought a standard 3.5mm male stereo to 3.5mm male stereo cable and can't get it to work properly. (That is a connector with three sections to it, i.e. two black isolators between the sections.)

By not playing properly, I mean that not both channels are playing, not all frequencies are playing.

The only thing I can think of is that the male adapter is not aligning properly in the female socket. As it is either the one channel or the other and when both are playing it still does not sound correct.

Any ideas?

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok, I finally got to the bottom of this...

The cable I was using worked fine with a blackberry which led me to inspect the cable more closely. It turns out that the connectors on the cable I was using were slightly longer than the earphone connectors that I use on my iriver and ipod.

Swapping out the cable with a different one sorted the problem. It now sounds perfect using my ipod or iriver as the aux source.

I can't believe how much frustration a non standard cable caused me!

Regards

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts