Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First time posting as I have owned my 07 B9 for only 2 months now, and have just taken it to the local workshop to check after MIL light came on. Unfortunately they found a myriad of issues! Bad oil leak from front crankshaft oil seal, parking brake not working, front brake calipers seized and the error is for the CAT no longer functional. Anyway, this is all a bit of a nightmare, and they are battling to source parts. So I was wondering if the front brake calipers were common with any other more popular Subaru that may have parts available?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the other issues?

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
58 Posts
My CEL came on and when taken into the stealership they said the codes indicated that my cats had failed. Factory warranty covers them until 120000 km, so they were replaced under 10000 km before the warranty on them expired, saving me $3000.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I doubt that your cat needs replacing. it is more than likely some other issue that comes up as that. There is a great thread on an outback forum that deals with this. Mine turned out to be the grounds needed cleaning. If you search for the code that you have you should be able to find the thread here with the link the the outback forum. I'm sorry, but I'm not computer savvy enough to do links and such. Hopefully the people that are and in the know will pipe up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Calipers from a Subaru Legacy Gt likely interchange or those from an Outback XT as well. Also you could try the 2010+ Legacy/Outback 3.6r.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi. First time posting as I have owned my 07 B9 for only 2 months now, and have just taken it to the local workshop to check after MIL light came on. Unfortunately they found a myriad of issues! Bad oil leak from front crankshaft oil seal, parking brake not working, front brake calipers seized and the error is for the CAT no longer functional. Anyway, this is all a bit of a nightmare, and they are battling to source parts. So I was wondering if the front brake calipers were common with any other more popular Subaru that may have parts available?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the other issues?

Thanks
Robert

Front seal should be easy to replace, 1.5 ours or so should cover it. Parking brake - ask them to adjust it first, unless previous owner drove it with parking brake on they should be fine - still going strong on our 07 with 195K miles.

As already said, Legacy GT 05-12 front calipers are the same. Outback XT brakes are smaller than LGT so those won't fit. However Legacy with H6 shoudl also have same calipers as Tribeca.

CAT codes -you need to list specific codes given to you but dealing with any of them is not cheap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
front brake calipers seized
That's not true. They're not lying, they're just relaying in familiar verbage how they're going to repair it, which is one option.

The caliper pins are seized due to rust or swollen pin bushing. All it needs is new pins, grease, and bushings which are cheap:
1. remove and clean or replace pins
2. replace pin bushings and grease
3. you're done for a few dollars in parts.

All it needs is some time with a chisel and most come out. Otherwise just break out the blue wrench. No big deal.

You can also just buy the caliper brackets with pins, you don't need actual calipers. Either used or new.

If you need another caliper you can also get used ones - they last the life of the vehicle if properly greased so used OEM are great options, order from a rust free state:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
230 Posts
the P0420 CAT code is benign, you can drive indefinitely with that on. if you need to address it, save than one until last. it's expensive and doesn't hurt anything.

at least a tune up should be done first before that anyway - new plugs, air filter, and PCV valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts