Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Anyway to disable to seatbelt chime?

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  CGTurboforce 
#1 ·
Its annoying to start the vehicle and listen to the seatbelt chime over and over again...jeez if it would just give you 30secs to buckle the dam thing.

#3 · (Edited)
There IS an easier way than disabling speaker. Think it's been posted here before. Anyway, what you do is turn the ignition on, & then buckle & unbuckle the driver's seatbelt about 25 times within 30 seconds. Apparently that's the code to disable the chime. Then you start the engine. Also, if the battery's disconnected ever, you have to do this again. Also can't recall if you have to open & close door after activity.
IMPORTANT: Make sure too that you properly lock the belt & use release button each time; you have to work fairly fast!
Try it - worked for me!

#4 ·
Disable seat belt chime

ronispooldu said:
Its annoying to start the vehicle and listen to the seatbelt chime over and over again...jeez if it would just give you 30secs to buckle the dam thing.
IIRC, with the key on, engine not running, latch/unlatch the drivers seat belt about 20 times as quick as you can. But don't remember how long this lasts. Somebody on Edmonds.com had mentioned this method.

To avoid the nagging, I've gotten in the habit of latching the seat belt before starting the Tribeca.;)

Whoops, see that Ozeguy beat me to the "punch".

#9 ·
Well done, guys. I'm not troubled by disabling the chimes, as I always buckle up as force of habit. In fact, on the odd occasion when I need to drive a few yards without my seatbelt, like along my 1/4 mile driveway, I feel undressed without the security across my chest. Funny that! I guess years of wearing one is imprinted on me!

#10 ·
seat belt chimes

ozeguy said:
Well done, guys. I'm not troubled by disabling the chimes, as I always buckle up as force of habit. In fact, on the odd occasion when I need to drive a few yards without my seatbelt, like along my 1/4 mile driveway, I feel undressed without the security across my chest. Funny that! I guess years of wearing one is imprinted on me!
Same here. The vehicle doesn't move until my seat belt is fastened. Heck, a long time ago we used to get surplus Air Force aircraft seat belts (3" wide, quick release) and install them in our real sports cars. We did a lot of gymkanna's and time/distance/speed rally's in those days.:D

#13 ·
I advice to not do this. I found out in my car accident that was why i was thrown into the windshield. My husband did this trick to our Sti's and from what a mechanic said is that when you do this it effects the ecu programming to the seatbelt chime and can cause the seat belt to not properly lock when needed to be locked. All i know is when i got into my accident my husbands seatbelt locked and mine didnt and this trick was done on the sti. Since i have heard that could have been why i got thrown into the windshield i no longer do this trick..

#14 ·
When I got my Tribeca I begged a tech to disable the chime for me. I was doing a lot of slow driving around my neighborhood doing photography and stuff and was pretty much stopping getting out, shooting, moving and such.

They didn't do it the way you are talking about because my battery has been disconnected and the chime never went back on.

I don't need to be reminded to wear my seatbelts because I have two little annoying human chimes in the back that will anyway.:)

#15 ·
Gibz said:
I advice to not do this. I found out in my car accident that was why i was thrown into the windshield. My husband did this trick to our Sti's and from what a mechanic said is that when you do this it effects the ecu programming to the seatbelt chime and can cause the seat belt to not properly lock when needed to be locked. All i know is when i got into my accident my husbands seatbelt locked and mine didnt and this trick was done on the sti. Since i have heard that could have been why i got thrown into the windshield i no longer do this trick..
I'm betting this was simply a faulty seatbelt mechanism. There's no way *any* company would get away with a customer-accessible code that could disable seatbelts.

The only danger is that you might forget to put the belt on if you don't get the reminder chime.

#16 ·
If it ever warms up, I'll take pics of my mod. There is a multi-pole connector under the drivers seat with two black wires. Simply removing one of these wires from the connector leaves the latch detection circuit closed and thus registers that the drivers belt is latched.

You also have to do this for the passenger if you want that one disabled as well.

Matt

#17 ·
Hey everyone, I've tried the 20 clicks seatbelt fix and it hasn't worked for me. What has temporarily worked for me has been to have the engine on when doing the 20 clicks fix. The seatbelt chime goes away until i turn the car off and start it again then the chime comes permanently back on again. I'm just wondering what I could be doing that is wrong.

1. Turn ignition on to auxiliary mode (Engine off)
2. Take drivers side seat belt and insert into buckle 20 times, while holding the release button down, however making sure to insert the belt in and out fully each time.
3. Turn engine on.

After these steps the seatbelt chime comes on and stays on. Any suggestions?

#18 ·
Ok it finally worked for me this is what I did differently.

1. Before turning ignition on have seatbelt in hand.

2. Turn ignition on to auxiliary mode (engine off)

3. Insert the seatbelt in and out of buckle 20 times as quickly as possible. When inserting the belt into the buckle be sure to push the release button down each time to release the belt.
(Note: Do not hold down the release button.)

4. After seatbelt has been inserted 20 times turn ignition fully to start engine. (chime will come on momentarily during start up but will go off along with the warning light.)

5. You're done. Try starting the car again just to make sure but this should work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.