Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
One thing that helped was that i went to Rockauto website, looked at starters for purchase for the Tribeca and it shows the copper ground going to the back of the magnetic thingamajiggy that is part of the starter.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I don't know why everything has to be so bloody harder than it needs to be......tried putting ground through the starter bolt and it's just not going through. It's blocked enough where I don't think it goes there. Really starting to hit the wall here.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey you are welcome. Would more pictures from me be helpful? That piece you are trying to put the bolt through looks less "complex" than mine. It might be the angle though. When stuff gets complex I try to back off and sleep on it. I have that luxury because I have other cars though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The difference in starting is like night and day now though! Fires up so quick. Used to make grinding noises and crap from the day that I got it. Had no idea that the slow starting wasn't normal.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There should be a little ridge pointing upwards just to the left of the ground lug in that pic on the bracket.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Edit: Pics of area. I think 1 goes to top starter bolt looking at pic. I can't edit old post. Not sure about 2 or 3 but one of those likely goes to starter terminal.
Does your top starter bolt feed through a bracket that holds that ground in place? I've circled the part in question from your pic. Trying to see if I've actually misplaced this.

This is starting too drive me crazy. But I'm also worried about getting cables wrong and frying the starter/battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got it figure out.
Everything on the starter is good to go.....with one exception.....Still can't figure out where this wire goes to. Doesn't seem to fit to the back of the solenoid bolt. I'm starting to believe I'm looking at the wrong side of the engine.

ohhhhh.....soooooo close......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well...tried to start the car with that mystery wire off.
Without the keys in the engine, when I hooked the battery up, the starter started engaging. Took the battery off.....retired and same thing.
Real weird.....WTF.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does your top starter bolt feed through a bracket that holds that ground in place? I've circled the part in question from your pic. Trying to see if I've actually misplaced this.
View attachment 2386

This is starting too drive me crazy. But I'm also worried about getting cables wrong and frying the starter/battery.
Yes it does, sorry for the delay. Also, isn't the mystery ground at the bottom of my pic maybe? There are 2 wires going into it. Look straight down from the letters "C9C" on the trans sticker. Do you have a ground going there?

Glad that you have gotten this far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah...figured it out....we screwed up the solenoid and fixed it up......doesn't work like before, but it works. Will need to get a replacement starter after we figure out the transmission issue. sigh......

21 - 32 of 32 Posts