Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2007 Tribeca Limited (non-navigation) and we are thinking about having the oem factory satellite radio kit installed. Do any of you have experience with the factory satellite radio kit? Is it any good? The dealer wants something like $600 plus to have it installed. We can have an aftermarket unit installed for about $300, but that would require having an external receiver mounted on the dash and we could only use the steering wheel buttons to control sound. We would have to reach over to the external unit every time we wanted to change the station, which is why we are considering the official oem factory kit. Your thoughts???

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm not sure I would drop $600 just for satellite radio. Granted, I love the clean OEM look, but that is a lot of cash. Do you guys really need Sat radio? Have you hooked up your iPod to the car as an alternative?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we have been using an ipod in the car since we bought it back in '06, but my wife recently picked up a 2010 CR-V that has sat radio and she is really starting to like it. We use the Tribeca for long trips, so she has asked if we can get sat radio in the Tribeca. It doesn't help matters that there is a "Sat" radio button on the dashboard of the Tribeca for her to look at and ask me about every time we are in the car!!! :)

We can have an aftermarket unit put in for $300, but the dash on the Tribeca is odd to say the least and tricky to do an install on (or so I am told by the local audio electronics place). I would rather spend the $600 and get something that looks good than $300 and regret it when we see the finished product.

I guess I am just wondering how well the oem unit works. Does the screen show title/artist, etc. well or does it cut off long names? Where do you have your external antenna placed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I believe the antenna is mounted on the inside upper passenger windshield. They run the wiring up through the A pillar.

I'm not really sure how the display shows on SAT, but I'd guess it works like the integrated iPod. Fairly limited display and it scrolls long names.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Magic Marker said:
I believe the antenna is mounted on the inside upper passenger windshield. They run the wiring up through the A pillar.

I'm not really sure how the display shows on SAT, but I'd guess it works like the integrated iPod. Fairly limited display and it scrolls long names.
Thanks for the info!

I was able to find an official Subaru install manual for the XM radio kit and it does show the antenna mounted on the upper right of the windshield. After looking over the install I still can't figure out how they think it will take them 3-4 hours to do! They made it sound like they had to remove the entire dash to do the work. From the install manual, it seems to me like it would only take 1 to 2 hours tops if you have someone that knows that they are doing. I think I will have another chat with them, but this time have the install manual in hand.

I have attached a copy of the manual in case anyone else is curious.

The kit (Part # H621SXA000) is still expensive though. The cheapest I can find it for is about $320 plus shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Divemaster said:
Thanks for the info!

I was able to find an official Subaru install manual for the XM radio kit and it does show the antenna mounted on the upper right of the windshield. After looking over the install I still can't figure out how they think it will take them 3-4 hours to do! They made it sound like they had to remove the entire dash to do the work. From the install manual, it seems to me like it would only take 1 to 2 hours tops if you have someone that knows that they are doing. I think I will have another chat with them, but this time have the install manual in hand.

I have attached a copy of the manual in case anyone else is curious.

The kit (Part # H621SXA000) is still expensive though. The cheapest I can find it for is about $320 plus shipping.
I found this on ebay. It still has 4 days to go and you might get a great deal. Doesn't look like there's reserve so if you're lucky, then you're lucky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Tribeca-Legacy-Outbcak-XM-Satellite-Radio-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414ad5dc63QQitemZ280428403811QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mwoo68 said:
I found this on ebay. It still has 4 days to go and you might get a great deal. Doesn't look like there's reserve so if you're lucky, then you're lucky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Tribeca-Legacy-Outbcak-XM-Satellite-Radio-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414ad5dc63QQitemZ280428403811QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Good Luck.
Thank you very much for posting that link. I am now watching the auction and will see how it goes. There is some confusion in the auction as the title says it is XM and the photo shows the XM receiver unit (part # H621SXA000), but the part number listed is for the Sirius unit (part # H621SXA100). I sent the seller a question to make sure it is the XM unit.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Divemaster said:
Thank you very much for posting that link. I am now watching the auction and will see how it goes. There is some confusion in the auction as the title says it is XM and the photo shows the XM receiver unit (part # H621SXA000), but the part number listed is for the Sirius unit (part # H621SXA100). I sent the seller a question to make sure it is the XM unit.

Thanks again!
NP.

For Subaru part numbers, I always thought the "100" represents revision level. As well, when you look carefully at the photo, it seems to show as XM so it looks like an XM system, but double checking is the wisest.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to the attached Subaru accessories list, the one that ends in "000" is the XM version and the one that ends in "100" is the Sirius version.

The seller responded by saying that the part number was "H621SXA100", but they switched modules and the one he is selling comes with the XM module even though the part number on the box corresponds to the Sirius module. The photo does show the XM module. Seems a bit odd to me though.

Thanks again for finding that.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.