Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope it's not to late to chime in... I have the dog seperator from Subaru. Let me tell you from first hand experience. We thought we would save some money and bought a $100 commericially available dog seperator for our 06 Outback. After passing through the toll just out side of Boston Mass on a road trip, we were rear ended at about 20mph. This caused one of our dogs, our 65lb lab at the time who was year old, to fly into the dog seperator knocking it foward and down, riping through rough liner along the way as well. My daughter was in the back seat the time and the only thing that stop her from getting hurt was we had a big pile of camping gear taller than her sitting next to her.

That being said when we just recently traded our Outback in for the Tribeca I had them include in deal a dog seperator. I believe at their cost its around $200. Which isn't a deal breaker for them in terms of cost. I can not even begin to tell you the difference in quality and fit. I'm sure we all love our dogs here. But for those of us who have bigger dogs(my lab is now 85lbs) and my mutt is 65lbs, we need to take into account our own personal saftey as well. I can not imagine the kind of damage a bag of cement would do to your head if you were rear ended by someone going 60mph, let alone a dog.

I snapped some pics for you. I have a 7 pass Tribeca. The one dissadvantage to this dog seperator is you should remove it when using the 3rd row seating... and if for some reason you only wanted to put up the seats.. there is a thumb screw I marked with an arrow that must be removed to get them up. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help. Lastly Ill throw in a pic of my dogs too. :)

Obviously a view from the back of the whole seperator. This does however, work well when left in place for the mother in law to ride in the third row. Bread and bottles of water can be pass through the seat belt opening.

The arrow points to the one thumb screw that prevents pulling the 3rd row seats up. It comes off fairly easy though.

Izzy and Ralphie both girls

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That OEM separator looks great and very secure. Unfortunately, our dog would never like sitting in the cargo area that far away from us.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey xxBLIZZxx, I was looking at the thumb screw and what you said about it interfering with the 3rd row seats.

That reminded me of something I found too. Those same thumb screws also prevent us from lifting the cover to the storage tray below. We have a 5-seater, and there are two concealed compartments in the back. The first one closer to the rear hatch where the tire and tools are located. Immediately in front of that is another one. And it's the same thing, I can't open it more then 2-3 inches because of those thumb screws. When I installed everything I was like WTF.

Since I doubt I'll be removing the barrier often, I guess I'll look for a flush mount screw and see if that offers the necessary clearance. Thanks again for mentioning that, I totally forgot about that!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Howdy - sorry for the zombie thread, but the wife and I need one of these for the new 'Beca in the family.

Any chance someone has one of these they don't need any more? I'd rather buy from a person than the dealer if at all possible :)

·
Administrator
737 Posts
back from the grave....I was wondering what you all do (if anything) to protect the seat backs. Sure the barrier stops the dogs from getting through, but mine would surely scratch the backs of the 2nd row seats while trying!

·
Administrator
737 Posts
Bump.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts