Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup,
We are in the market to adopt a dog. In preparation, I want to pick up the Subaru B9 Dog Barrier. The cheapest I could find it was $200, but I wasn't able to find the actual dealer cost.

Does anyone here have one and can chime in on the fitment and how easy it is to install/ uninstall?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Assuming the '08 and '07 are the same . . .

I have one, although I am ashamed to admit that I bought it as part of the original purchase, so it's real cost is buried in the "deal" -

Mine is an '08 5-seat Ltd. The barrier was an easy install. Less than 30 minutes. Hard to describe, but there is a downloadable PDF on the Subaru techinfo site with nice drawings. 4 trim covers come off, the 4 exposed bolts come out, and the brackets which hold the barrier are bolted in. Nothing drilled, nothing cut or bent.

I am sure you know that you will lose the use of the 3rd row while the barrier is in place. And you will have to remove the barrier and its brackets to use it. Once you have done the install and seen how it all goes together, the in-and-out is less than 5 minutes. The barrier fasteners are all thumb screws, so no tools are required.

The barrier is very well made, sturdy, no rattles. Given that it is designed for this application, goes in without any permanent changes to the vehicle, and doesn't deform headliners, etc with spring mountings, I think it is worth the online prices I have seen - something in the neighborhood of $200-250.

Let me know if I have confused rather than enlightened.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hawker800mech said:
I just bought the $36 one on Amazon and works great. It won't stop them from flying forward in a crash, but will keep them from seat jumping. Plus, it's easily removed in a second.
What does a $36 one look like? Link?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hawker800mech said:
As much as I would love to save money, I can't let myself get the compression style barrier. It will leave compression marks on the head liner and at the base. I'm just going to bite the bullet and pick up the OEM barrier. It was made to fit, so there are no compression fittings anywhere. Everything bolts up with allen heads (from my understanding).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brapklak said:
I have one, although I am ashamed to admit that I bought it as part of the original purchase, so it's real cost is buried in the "deal" -

Mine is an '08 5-seat Ltd. The barrier was an easy install. Less than 30 minutes. Hard to describe, but there is a downloadable PDF on the Subaru techinfo site with nice drawings. 4 trim covers come off, the 4 exposed bolts come out, and the brackets which hold the barrier are bolted in. Nothing drilled, nothing cut or bent.

I am sure you know that you will lose the use of the 3rd row while the barrier is in place. And you will have to remove the barrier and its brackets to use it. Once you have done the install and seen how it all goes together, the in-and-out is less than 5 minutes. The barrier fasteners are all thumb screws, so no tools are required.

The barrier is very well made, sturdy, no rattles. Given that it is designed for this application, goes in without any permanent changes to the vehicle, and doesn't deform headliners, etc with spring mountings, I think it is worth the online prices I have seen - something in the neighborhood of $200-250.

Let me know if I have confused rather than enlightened.
Hey, can you post pictures of how it looks from a few angles? I'm trying to figure out how much room the dog will actually have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not a dog barrier per say...but my wife's aunt/uncle have one of those back seat dog hammocks. It's basically a big blanket that covers the back seat and you hook it around the front seat and back seat head rests to form a hammock shape. They love it and it lets the dog stay closer to you but prevents them from coming up to the front and protects the seats from fur and whatnot. Obviously the down side is that it takes up the back seat as opposed to the trunk.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we decided while the puppy is young, we will just hold her in the back seat or leave her loose in the cargo area. I already bought the cargo mat to catch any hairs or "accidents".

·
Registered
552 Posts
What kinda dog are you getting? We're thinking about getting one in the fall once my wife gets transferred to a local school and can get home quicker from work.

I love dogs, just don't know if I want to be the one to have to care for it full time. I told my wife I ain't walking it in the morning, I already have to get up at 6am just to get to work. Used to have a dachshund (weiner dog) back when I was little through college...great dog, but he was stubborn as heck and naughty:lol: We also had a fenced deck that we could just let him out on w/o having to actually walk him.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are adopting a rescued puppy. She is a corgi/german shepard mix. Extremely cute. We only live 15 min from work, so one of us can go home during lunch to walk her. At 11 weeks old, I'm sure we have plenty of accidents to clean up.

I've never had a dog before, but my gf had one when she was a kid. I'll post up pics once we get her settled in. We are having a welcome to our home party with our friends this Saturday.

My gf already agreed to do the AM walks. I don't mind doing the afternoon and evening walks. I'm up late anyway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It sucks the Subaru one is $200+ whereas you can buy a generic unit for $50+ at any pet store. Obviously I'd much rather have one designed for use in our Tribeca. But I don't know if I can justify that price.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the Subaru Dog Guard Compartment Separator. After looking at several generic separators, I failed to find one that I thought would fit well and be sturdy.

As much as I like the divider I can't help but say it was a total pain in the ass to install. The directions were not only useless, but in many ways they made things more confusing and difficult. Essentially it came down to me places all the pieces where I thought they would go and aligning everything up. I would think after paying $200 I would get something more helpful.

Regardless, once it was installed it looks great and is very secure. I'm REALLY glad I got the Subaru one and didn't try and cheap my way out by getting one for far less.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brien said:
Well I went ahead and bought the Subaru Dog Guard Compartment Separator. After looking at several generic separators, I failed to find one that I thought would fit well and be sturdy.

As much as I like the divider I can't help but say it was a total pain in the ass to install. The directions were not only useless, but in many ways they made things more confusing and difficult. Essentially it came down to me places all the pieces where I thought they would go and aligning everything up. I would think after paying $200 I would get something more helpful.

Regardless, once it was installed it looks great and is very secure. I'm REALLY glad I got the Subaru one and didn't try and cheap my way out by getting one for far less.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. We ended up deciding that we didn't want her in the cargo area. It scares her to be back there. I've tried. I bought one of those full rear seat hammocks and she'd doing fine with it. Cost me $70. She isn't going to get bigger then 40lbs and very chill so we don't see her jumping in the front. I'll have to take some pics over the weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad to hear that you are protecting your pets. I was in a head-on accident that totalled our Xb, our pug was in the back......in a crate and he was just fine, although the crate had a significant dent in it. He would have been killed instantly if he had been riding anywhere else in the car. Try and pass on the word to people that you see driving with their "best friend", you never know when an idiot will not see a red turn arrow!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
snork said:
What kinda dog are you getting? We're thinking about getting one in the fall once my wife gets transferred to a local school and can get home quicker from work.

I love dogs, just don't know if I want to be the one to have to care for it full time. I told my wife I ain't walking it in the morning, I already have to get up at 6am just to get to work. Used to have a dachshund (weiner dog) back when I was little through college...great dog, but he was stubborn as heck and naughty:lol: We also had a fenced deck that we could just let him out on w/o having to actually walk him.
Here she is at 8 months old and 37lbs. She's close to being done growing. Her name is Lacee.

~13weeks

She's on the right. The other dog is her sister. 8 months

1 - 20 of 27 Posts