Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with an 06-07 tribeca have a blockheater installed?

Anyone know if one is available for the 2008?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sorry, we don't. I don't think we need it here in NJ. It doesn't get that cold.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I asked when I picked up my 08, dealer said they don't make one yet. i asked again when I went for the first oil change just yesterday, they apparently don't make one.

I'm a bit confused though, since I thought the new motor used the same block and was just bored out a bit and they increased the stroke to get the extra 0.6 L displacement. If its the same block, wouldn't the old block heater work?

It gets cold here in the winter (sometimes -30C or -40C) and I NEED a block heater.

·
449 Posts
I can't say for sure but I can't see why the subaru block heater, which is pretty much universal to subarus, won't work on your year. All it does is replace one of the coolant plugs in the bottom of the block.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=139146

That is a link to the attached install file. I have to say getting the plug out can be a real bugger. I've done it in the past when installing an OEM oil cooler. You need to have the proper allan fitting (14mm) which can be a chore to find.

Attachments

·
449 Posts
The heater is basically an electric heating element (400W?) that is at the bottom of the cooling systems fluid. It heats the fluid around the elements, when the fluid gets hot it rises creating a convection current around the cooling system. The fluid warms the motor block. It makes it so the motor will turn over easier in extreme cold weather. Most cold climes have places in parking lots to accomidate people with block heaters. Until you've been to places that get super cold it's hard to appricate the need for a block heater. It also helps get heat sooner in the car.

edit: From a parts site:
Engine Block Heater

Prevent hard starting on those cold mornings with this 400 watt, 115 volt engine block heater. Plugs into household electrical outlet. Comes with instructions and all hardware needed. You will need to completely drain and fill your coolant to install this item.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Weird question, but what is the purpose for this heater?
ever been to Montreal ? :) It's funny to see parked cars with outplet plugs hanging from under the hood :lol:

More universal but waaaaayyyy more expensive is a autonomous gazoline heater from Webasto (Germany) - lots of cars in Europe have it. I beleive one can preorder Mercedes and BMW with Webasto heater installed at the factory.

Check this out:
http://www.webasto.us/home/en/homepage.html

·
449 Posts
Just as an FYI it seem they now make a block heater for the 2008 according to the www.cars101.com website:

2/7 Tribeca Block Heater is finally available for the 2008s. Cold weather folks take note..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanna bump this up.
Was quoted $185 for install and parts for a block heater on 2008 tribeca.
That seems a little much no?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd have to dig up what it cost me. I had mine (08) installed in the spring. It seemed expensive, they quoted me an hour for install time, but it took them longer (they charged me what they quoted though).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checking to see if anyone else had this done for the winter.
Block heater and install ran me $200 i still can't believe that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts