Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found on other subaru forums=>
that because water dissipates after lamps are used,
subaru of america(SOA) does not cover this under any type of warrenty
i called dealer about the problem
stated that this is "normal operating procedure"

my wifes 08 tribeca has had water in both lamps for 6days now after the rainstorm we had here.

anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never had any moisture in either headlights until the driver side headlight needed to be replaced. Since then, I have noticed occasional moisture in that headlight. I noticed it this evening after washing it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
fortunately no water for me either...........don't understand why Subaru will not stand behind this problem if it still under warranty.......has to be like a seal dried up and cracked or something like that......shouldn't be a major problem...............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the lamps are STILL filled with moisture
no rain here since friday the 18th(1st post)

i mean, its so bad, if i placed some dirt and some ivy, it would thrive.
its a freakin rain forest in there!
our humidity in houston does not help either

once the lamps do clear out
im going to take the bumper/grille/lamps out and investigate.

hopefully its like you said cowboy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its pretty much a month since last post
we have not had any rain since 1st post

left lamp cleared up
rght lamp still has a great deal of moisture

i want to wait till all water clears out, then take off the cover/grille/lamp......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well well well

wife just called and the bulb is out(R side, with all the water in it)
let everyone know what happens

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
think i found what is happening:

after taking front bumper off, i removed the headlamps.
FYI the front cvr is held by only clips. very good idea if you use a clip puller. there are about 20 of these suckers.
i had to removed 7 10mm bolts for each lamp(dont forget the one on the bottom of lamp)

there is a cover on the back of each lamp with only one screw holding the top of the bulb cover to the back of the lamp housing.
the bottom of the bulb cover is held with 2 slide clips.(not very sturdy, even less watertight)
there was a rubber gasket that fits in a groove of the small bulb cover.
the outside of the gasket was wet. i removed the gasket, the inside of the gasket was also wet.
after removing all the bulbs, i used a hair dryer for 2 stints of 10 minutes each to evaporate the trapped water.
i placed some plyable silicon sealent to inside and outside of the gasket of the lamp cover.
re-assembled everything
took 1hr, including one trip to get new bulbs and one stop at shell station for a large beer!

will report back if it ever rains again here, or we wash the beca

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar problem on a Mitsubishi Diamante. No problems with Tribeca, other than having to replace the horrible bulbs that came with the car with some more powerful Silver Star bulbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my 2010 Limited I noticed a significant amount of moisture on the LH passenger headlamp the other day. I'm going to try out the steps ALiBenn outlined to see if that's the problem. Do I need to do anything extra in order to not screw up the adjustable aiming feature?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I disassembled the front lights and try to put new silicone sealant on it. Lets see if this works. Btw i have a 2008 tribeca.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi AliBenn,

I also started getting the problem on my 2008 B9. It was fine for years, only noticed it recently...

As far as I understand it should be the bit with the clips/hooks about 2" behind the soft rubber seal around the front "glass" bit. Is this correct? Mine seems to have black silicone peeling out from underneath the plastic "clip/hooks". So I assume if was repaired before the reason why I can't seem to get the back cover off.

I had it lying in the sun for a few hours to get all the moisture out and will try and seal it with more black silicone or gasket maker or something. Any ideas? As I cannot get the cover off it will just be trying to seal it on the seam that is left between the clip on cover and the front/"glass" bit.

Thanks
Paul

Ps. Any advise on aligning the low beams would be appreciated... When you mentioned only one bolt holding the back cover I started turning the first one I found which was the low beam adjustment screw. There is an alignment mark, but whether I turned it 4 of 5 times eludes my memory banks ;-)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re-seal worked!

Just reporting back that re-sealing the headlight assembly with black silicone sealant worked for me.

It's been a few months, washes and driving in the rain and it is still holding up. Not a hint of moisture inside the light.

Thanks for the instructions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
found on other subaru forums=>
that because water dissipates after lamps are used,
subaru of america(SOA) does not cover this under any type of warrenty
i called dealer about the problem
stated that this is "normal operating procedure"

my wifes 08 tribeca has had water in both lamps for 6days now after the rainstorm we had here.

anyone?
Same problem, 2008 Tribeca. We live in very dry part of LA where humidity is around 13% on a good day so I'm surprised.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Check the seal on the headlight bulb holder. If jiffylube changed the bulb for you, there is a good chance they screwed it up and that is letting in water.

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just reporting back that re-sealing the headlight assembly with black silicone sealant worked for me.

It's been a few months, washes and driving in the rain and it is still holding up. Not a hint of moisture inside the light.

Thanks for the instructions!
Can I just double check if your placement of the sealment will be an issue if you need to swap out a dead bulb?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.