Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually came across an article that had a boosted B9. It was a Supercharger from Cobbtuning.com. After reading the article, it seemed that it was a pre-production model kit as it wasn't on their main website. I sent them an email inquiring about it. I'll report back what they say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hawker800mech said:
Unfortunately, that's been a dead mod for a while now. They even sold the car. Very disappointing. There is nothing out there for us.
Agreed, there is nothing out there for Tribeca owners. I bought a Subaru because there are usually great aftermarket performance products available. I have been very disappointed with the B9 Tribeca as far as performance products go. There are products available for every other Subaru model, but not the Tribeca. A big let down and will probably prevent me from purchasing another Subaru in the future, since the Tribeca is the only car I'd be interested in. Probably go with an Acura or BMW X5/X3 next with many aftermarket products available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really hope that some company eventually begins to make performance products for the B9 Tribeca. I really love my Subaru, but I owned a BMW 5-Series previously and I was used to having every aftermarket product in the world available to me. I guess the Tribeca simply went into the "soccer mom" category and companies (like Cobb Tuning) don't feel it's worth their time. We Tribeca owners really got shafted. I am hoping for an Aussie company to make something

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cash911 said:
Agreed, there is nothing out there for Tribeca owners. I bought a Subaru because there are usually great aftermarket performance products available. I have been very disappointed with the B9 Tribeca as far as performance products go. There are products available for every other Subaru model, but not the Tribeca. A big let down and will probably prevent me from purchasing another Subaru in the future, since the Tribeca is the only car I'd be interested in. Probably go with an Acura or BMW X5/X3 next with many aftermarket products available.
We didn't choose the B9 hoping for aftermarket support. I was actually hoping there would be more OE parts from the UK for it. Sort of like how I loved JDM parts for my Honda.

Although, I am surprised how little is available aftermarket wise in eBay. Maybe there will be more aftermarket support since the 08's have come out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's too bad they cancelled it. I remeber wanting it bad, but the price turned me away. They wanted like $2000 or something ridiculous for it. A couple hundred MAYBE, but not two grand!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
HB_Dad said:
It's too bad they cancelled it. I remeber wanting it bad, but the price turned me away. They wanted like $2000 or something ridiculous for it. A couple hundred MAYBE, but not two grand!!
For a supercharger? Intakes are usually around $100-$200. I bought a "cheap" supercharger for an F150 for $2400. A good kit was $3000-$4000. It ain't cheap to buy speed.:) That's one reason I got rid of my WRX.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hawker800mech said:
For a supercharger? Intakes are usually around $100-$200. I bought a "cheap" supercharger for an F150 for $2400. A good kit was $3000-$4000. It ain't cheap to buy speed.:) That's one reason I got rid of my WRX.
True true. Any decent FI set up is gonna cost. I guess we're all stuck with N/A for now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd be more willing to get tranny brains reflashed as it feels that B9's tranny could be fine tuned to better use whatever engine is capable of.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You've got to understand that the Tribeca isn't exactly in a performance oriented segment. Sure it would be nice if there was some stuff out there but remember that the first two years of the Tribeca weren't exactly a success for Subaru as far as sales. Who's going to make aftermarket parts for a car that doesn't appeal to the mass market.

If you really want to modify your Tribeca get creative...make a cold air intake like others have done, have a shop custom fab an exhaust with some high flow cats and nice set of mufflers, and so on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
DubyaSTI said:
the first two years of the Tribeca weren't exactly a success for Subaru as far as sales. Who's going to make aftermarket parts for a car that doesn't appeal to the mass market.
Exactly. I heard that one year had about 18,000 sold. Not very good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will admit, I like having one of the only Tribeca's around town. I know that doesn't help Subaru, but I like being different. I think the main problem is that Subaru is not known for this type of vehicle and most buyers didn't even think to visit the local Subaru dealer when shopping for an suv/crossover type vehicle. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and even Hyundai seem have very good advertising budgets that work. The Tribeca is a better vehicle than most IMO, but I think most people still aren't aware that Subaru has a vehicle like the Tribeca

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. I like having a unique SUV even if others don't like it. Our 07 def turns heads. Although I am starting to see more 08's then 06-07's on the road. I think Subie made the Tribeca more mainstream, so it's getting some better exposure.

Is the 08 engine drastically different then 06-07? If the 08's take off, then possibly the aftermarket will begin to boom?

·
Registered
30 Posts
HB_Dad said:
A $2000 for a supercharger kit is a STEAL.

·
Registered
214 Posts
HB_Dad said:

HB, where did you get this figure? I agree, if it was 2k, it would be a steal.

For $200 plus, the JWT pop charger, with some customizations to fit, might be an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Magic Marker said:
What's that?
It's a Jim Wolf Technology intake. I had one on my Infiniti. With some searching on the net I'm sure you can put together an intake. Other things to consider is maybe have a muffler shop fab up an exhaust.

What is the engine code for the B9? Does it use the same engine mounts as the EJ series?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know I'm reviving a "last year" thread, but I thought I'd add some info:
Cobb was charging $5K for their supercharger kit.
Jeff Perrin and Jeff Sponaugle from PDX Tuning both turboed a couple of 3.0 H6 engines for their STIs, and they quoted a price of $15K for the work they did. I'm not sure of everything they included, but I know it involved new pistons and valves/valve springs, and probably crank and connecting rods.

I posted a quick comparison over on Legacy.org:

Cobb claimed 320 hp for their supercharger kit, and Perrin was pushing at least 500 hp in his turbo kit, so:

from 250 to 320 is a 70 hp gain for $5K = $71.42 per hp
from 250 to 500 is a 250 hp gain for $15K = $60 per hp

Turbocharging is the more cost-effective option, if you have the money.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts